Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    I confess that when I start reading posts/stories about people struggling to pay for college, or when I see a post/story about some huge medical bill or substandard medical care because insurance, I get my judgey pants on. People should be able to go to university, regardless of background. People should be able to get access to medical care without having to have a certain type of insurance. People should be able to go to school, work, the freaking ice rink, without having to worry about being shot. Why is this so hard?

/rant also because getting judgey about a whole other country is a bit silly.

*Reasons I love Canada
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    mantium999 wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Confession: I ate nearly 4000 calories yesterday. Mostly in bread and cookies. Ugh.

Anyhow, it's prayer time and the fast has started--I'm off to pray and then maybe get some sleep (I hope).

@ndj1979 True and true, but that's okay. We don't mind being wrong when it feels so right. :smiley: Although there are quite a lot of confessions in these 959 pages, if you care to browse for them.

eh - my confession - not sure how this would be helpful to newbies as it appears to be a collection of gifs, notes on tv series, and other things, while I am sure are fun to discuss, I fail to see their utility to someone new to weight loss.

I think it's here in the General section because a lot of people feel free to ask questions in here that often get blasted into dumpster fire threads under normal circumstances. A bit like the restaurant-related questions you mentioned in that post of yours... The forums are a scary place for newbies. The "No judgment" in the topic line seems to attract a lot of them, actually.

What you see right now isn't what the thread is like all the time--it's actually evolving constantly since it's so active. Since a lot of us have been here from the beginning, we do often just chit chat all together, but confessions and questions still pour in a lot.
    Agreed. And since this is a really supportive, safe zone, I honestly think a lot of people have been helped back from the verge of falling off the wagon by discussing their struggles here. Or had a helping hand back on when they have fallen. To be honest, I don't really care where this thread is, as long as it doesn't get nuked.

Same here, which is why I do kind of wonder why everyone jumps on the posters who dare to ask why it's in this particular section. Wouldn't it make more sense to explain all that before telling them to go away? :D

I don't understand why others are so offended by this thread? Apparently many more people than we knew or thought lurk and read every so often.

It's not that anyone is offended, the purpose of it is clear, and many like it. The issue many have is that it maintains a privileged status in a questionable location, when many more specific threads don't, and many posters who provide truly specific and valuable guidance receive "corrective action" because they are honest and don't sugar coat things. So, as much as "judgement free" can help some, many like myself, when starting, need a good kick, but the "mean" threads that actually give sound advice get nuked, while the fluffy puppy thread that occasionally gets back to the discussion of General Diet and Weight Loss, ever so briefly, is given a superior ranking by those who get to make the decision.

We don't agree with the so-called corrective action ourselves in most cases. I, for one, hate the fact that they removed all of the helpful stickies and banned users like herrspoons and yoovie. But I don't see how calling attention to our fluffy puppy thread will get those back--It'll end up nuked too and everyone gets to be miserable then. :-/

I can appreciate that, I am just an advocate of consistency among the powers that be, NOT an advocate of the removal of this thread. When one hand gives out "corrections" for not staying on topic, while another rewards something that has no defined topic, it leads to bad perceptions about what the "rules" really are, and people leave or are prevented from participating, because a rule was inconsistently enforced.

But it's not inconsistent- those threads get locked and nuked for not staying on topic because it causes so many arguments and problems, people start fighting and making things personal. Here no one argues, we all get along, we're all supportive and no one is reporting anyone. There is a huge different between this thread and all those others that are 'derailed'. Not even on the same level.

sorry, but this one is way off topic and according to the "rules" it should be locked…I am not going to run off and file a report or anything..it is just frustrating that they are not all treated the same.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Ugh, you guys. It's almost five AM and I haven't even attempted sleep. I blame all of you. ;)

Now, good night for real this time! (No, that's a lie. 'Cause it's morning.)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Confession: I ate nearly 4000 calories yesterday. Mostly in bread and cookies. Ugh.

Anyhow, it's prayer time and the fast has started--I'm off to pray and then maybe get some sleep (I hope).

@ndj1979 True and true, but that's okay. We don't mind being wrong when it feels so right. :smiley: Although there are quite a lot of confessions in these 959 pages, if you care to browse for them.

eh - my confession - not sure how this would be helpful to newbies as it appears to be a collection of gifs, notes on tv series, and other things, while I am sure are fun to discuss, I fail to see their utility to someone new to weight loss.

I think it's here in the General section because a lot of people feel free to ask questions in here that often get blasted into dumpster fire threads under normal circumstances. A bit like the restaurant-related questions you mentioned in that post of yours... The forums are a scary place for newbies. The "No judgment" in the topic line seems to attract a lot of them, actually.

What you see right now isn't what the thread is like all the time--it's actually evolving constantly since it's so active. Since a lot of us have been here from the beginning, we do often just chit chat all together, but confessions and questions still pour in a lot.
    Agreed. And since this is a really supportive, safe zone, I honestly think a lot of people have been helped back from the verge of falling off the wagon by discussing their struggles here. Or had a helping hand back on when they have fallen. To be honest, I don't really care where this thread is, as long as it doesn't get nuked.

Same here, which is why I do kind of wonder why everyone jumps on the posters who dare to ask why it's in this particular section. Wouldn't it make more sense to explain all that before telling them to go away? :D

I don't understand why others are so offended by this thread? Apparently many more people than we knew or thought lurk and read every so often.

any other thread that was as off topic as this one would of been locked down by page 15….

just saying..

so the special status is interesting.

Good point... Maybe we're all special snowflakes. ;)

Actually, I think the mods like the positivity and support that this thread continually generates, and since confessions still do pile in daily (and we don't judge them! Most of the time.), we're somewhat on topic. It would be pretty dumb to pull this thread when it's going so well--not that they don't lock down threads for dumb reasons pretty often.

there is plenty of support in the main forums, it just is not sugar coated.

I'd agree there is support in the main forums but the reality is not everyone is as thick skinned as you or I. This thread keeps the people (who would throw the towel in the bucket because they didn't like the deliverance on the main forums) coming back and maybe learning more about weight loss. May be a bit slower but better late than never.
    Right, although they may also have to learn how to properly size a bra, make flapjacks or change the transmission on a Jeep Wranger on the way.

great, but last time I checked it was not a site designed for any of those things. And people are always being chastised to "stay on topic"….
    FWIW, I do understand what you're saying, but the fact is we're on topic enough of the time.

sorry, but based on a browse of the last ten pages or so that does not appear to be the case.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

It's not that anyone is offended, the purpose of it is clear, and many like it. The issue many have is that it maintains a privileged status in a questionable location, when many more specific threads don't, and many posters who provide truly specific and valuable guidance receive "corrective action" because they are honest and don't sugar coat things. So, as much as "judgement free" can help some, many like myself, when starting, need a good kick, but the "mean" threads that actually give sound advice get nuked, while the fluffy puppy thread that occasionally gets back to the discussion of General Diet and Weight Loss, ever so briefly, is given a superior ranking by those who get to make the decision.

We don't agree with the so-called corrective action ourselves in most cases. I, for one, hate the fact that they removed all of the helpful stickies and banned users like herrspoons and yoovie. But I don't see how calling attention to our fluffy puppy thread will get those back--It'll end up nuked too and everyone gets to be miserable then. :-/

They also banned MrM which sucks since he was extremely helpful & gave sound advice.

I didn't know they had banned Ana too until I read an old thread to get some more information about something with calories.

Honest advice here, questioning "action" of others can hurt you. Take that as you will.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I agree with @Susieq_1994 I was really
    bummed when I heard MrM was banned. I learned a lot from him and he kept threads spicy :)
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »

@njd1979 I agree with @Tubbs216 that this thread has offered support to many who may feel less comfortable in other areas, dipping toes in the waters of MFP so to speak. I will say that this thread is the ONLY reason I'm still on MFP. I had gained a few pounds and just wanted to log for awhile to recalibrate myself. I lost the 3-5 lbs I wanted to lose, but I'm still here. Not only am I still here but thanks to reading of the experiences of others who themselves have had issues with food and/or depression I am able to more fully understand my teen daughter who was seeming to be on the verge of an eating disorder. I'm working with her doctor and a nutritionist and doing research in proper journals, but this place offers the personal perspectives that can help. This thread inspired me to sign up for a 5K and I have not run regularly since I was injured running with my dog in 2006 (bad long lasting injury requiring months of PT). So the location of this thread in general help does seem to allow new people to find us which I think is a plus for them and for us. It is how I found this thread. What is the best exact designation of the thread? That is harder to place. It has taken on a life of its own and is full of people who are kind and open to others. Sometimes just that little act of kindness can be the nudge needed to keep on the healthier path.

I am glad that this thread helps you, and IMO chit, chat, fun, and games would be the correct location.

And you can get plenty of help, support, and motivation on the main forums. There are plenty of people that post out there and they are not bashed, but are told they need to eat more or seek professional help. Is it perfect no, but it is the internet.

I wouldn't disagree, but when we got moved to Chit chat, we got overrun by creepsters and the mods moved it back in just a couple of hours. I wouldn't object to a "Serious Chit Chat" section, though...

My vote, and I have mentioned it to the powers, is that this should exist in the Motivation and Support realm

I have nothing against that--I'd say it would fit in more there.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

I can appreciate that, I am just an advocate of consistency among the powers that be, NOT an advocate of the removal of this thread. When one hand gives out "corrections" for not staying on topic, while another rewards something that has no defined topic, it leads to bad perceptions about what the "rules" really are, and people leave or are prevented from participating, because a rule was inconsistently enforced.

But it's not inconsistent- those threads get locked and nuked for not staying on topic because it causes so many arguments and problems, people start fighting and making things personal. Here no one argues, we all get along, we're all supportive and no one is reporting anyone. There is a huge different between this thread and all those others that are 'derailed'. Not even on the same level.

Mods have the power to clean up and lock a thread. Complete removal of one that included solid advice before the "fire" removes valuable info and is censorship.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    I confess that when I start reading posts/stories about people struggling to pay for college, or when I see a post/story about some huge medical bill or substandard medical care because insurance, I get my judgey pants on. People should be able to go to university, regardless of background. People should be able to get access to medical care without having to have a certain type of insurance. People should be able to go to school, work, the freaking ice rink, without having to worry about being shot. Why is this so hard?

/rant also because getting judgey about a whole other country is a bit silly.

I confess that this post reminds me of this:

download%202_zpsh4uqdfvb.jpg
  • ndj1979
    Options

any other thread that was as off topic as this one would of been locked down by page 15….

just saying..

so the special status is interesting.

Good point... Maybe we're all special snowflakes. ;)

Actually, I think the mods like the positivity and support that this thread continually generates, and since confessions still do pile in daily (and we don't judge them! Most of the time.), we're somewhat on topic. It would be pretty dumb to pull this thread when it's going so well--not that they don't lock down threads for dumb reasons pretty often.

there is plenty of support in the main forums, it just is not sugar coated.

I'd agree there is support in the main forums but the reality is not everyone is as thick skinned as you or I. This thread keeps the people (who would throw the towel in the bucket because they didn't like the deliverance on the main forums) coming back and maybe learning more about weight loss. May be a bit slower but better late than never.
    Right, although they may also have to learn how to properly size a bra, make flapjacks or change the transmission on a Jeep Wranger on the way.

great, but last time I checked it was not a site designed for any of those things. And people are always being chastised to "stay on topic"….

Like I said, we're special snowflakes! Gotta say, though, that the latest changes to the forums really stink. Even so... Please don't get our thread killed. We love the thing!

ya'll are safe with me…I am not the flag/report type….

just offering my observations.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    What does it matter where the thread is. If you don't like it don't go in to it. What exactly is the point of continually lurking groups or threads you disagree with.
  • LBuehrle8
    Options

sorry, but this one is way off topic and according to the "rules" it should be locked…I am not going to run off and file a report or anything..it is just frustrating that they are not all treated the same.

Understandable but they're not treated the same because they're two totally different threads. Well that's what I think at least. None of know why the mods do what they do but what can you do about it? I guess if you're that passionate about it then do what you feel is right. I'd hope of this thread was locked the majority of us would stick together and still try and do what we do for others :)
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

@njd1979 I agree with @Tubbs216 that this thread has offered support to many who may feel less comfortable in other areas, dipping toes in the waters of MFP so to speak. I will say that this thread is the ONLY reason I'm still on MFP. I had gained a few pounds and just wanted to log for awhile to recalibrate myself. I lost the 3-5 lbs I wanted to lose, but I'm still here. Not only am I still here but thanks to reading of the experiences of others who themselves have had issues with food and/or depression I am able to more fully understand my teen daughter who was seeming to be on the verge of an eating disorder. I'm working with her doctor and a nutritionist and doing research in proper journals, but this place offers the personal perspectives that can help. This thread inspired me to sign up for a 5K and I have not run regularly since I was injured running with my dog in 2006 (bad long lasting injury requiring months of PT). So the location of this thread in general help does seem to allow new people to find us which I think is a plus for them and for us. It is how I found this thread. What is the best exact designation of the thread? That is harder to place. It has taken on a life of its own and is full of people who are kind and open to others. Sometimes just that little act of kindness can be the nudge needed to keep on the healthier path.

I am glad that this thread helps you, and IMO chit, chat, fun, and games would be the correct location.

And you can get plenty of help, support, and motivation on the main forums. There are plenty of people that post out there and they are not bashed, but are told they need to eat more or seek professional help. Is it perfect no, but it is the internet.

I wouldn't disagree, but when we got moved to Chit chat, we got overrun by creepsters and the mods moved it back in just a couple of hours. I wouldn't object to a "Serious Chit Chat" section, though...

If anything, we would fit better in the motivation forum, not chit chat.

• Italian_Buju
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    FOR ORANGESMARTIE:
    Keep on climbing that mountain, baby steps at a time. Sending all good wishes for your mum's surgery today. Have you taken your pill today? If not, go and do it now... Right now... Good. (((HUGS)))
    dblo0gftzxej.jpg

Thank you everyone for supportive messages.

I have taken my tablets today and yesterday.

@MoHousdon I love the idea that this is a village. I'm imagining us all in little English country cottages, nattering over the garden fence and on the village green

Good for you!

I would love that! As long as I can eat cookies and have tea. I would make an EXCELLENT English person/woman. Plus, I do a pretty good English accent.

I may have been doing one in my head just then. :blush:

Here, you have biscuits and tea. Cookies are 'merican

Alright, biscuits, then. :smile:

Biscuits always brings hard cookies to my mind, like Oreos or Digestives. Not that I have anything against them, but I want soft, chewy, gooey COOKIES! :o Or you know what? Gimme a scone. With butter.

I miss scones. Never been able to enjoy one since my Grandma passed away. She made the best and always made a special batch for me without raisins. I hate raisins!!

I make them with chocolate chips! And top them with seedless strawberry jam and real whipped cream!! Oh, its been too long!!

I can expect some when?

Um, when you coming to Ontario??
  • Susieq_1994
    Options

They also banned MrM which sucks since he was extremely helpful & gave sound advice.

I didn't know they had banned Ana too until I read an old thread to get some more information about something with calories.

Honest advice here, questioning "action" of others can hurt you. Take that as you will.

Ooh, oops, thanks for the heads up! *shuts mouth* I'm a little angel, and I never question authority. o:)

In other news, this forum is beginning to remind me of Saudi Arabia's judicial system...
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    What does it matter where the thread is. If you don't like it don't go in to it. What exactly is the point of continually lurking groups or threads you disagree with.

I don't think there's anything wrong with polite discussion, even when opposing views are offered. :)
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    kellypence wrote: »
    So, actual confession instead of potty talk.

I don't like people. I mean, really. And that is just my brain's excuse for what is essentially a cross between being a true introvert and a social anxiety disorder. Anyway, my husband's old group of friends (ie, he hasn't seen any of them in the 10 years we've been together) is getting together on Sat for a "goodbye party" for one of them who's moving and tracked him down and invited us to the party. I don't wanna go (said in a pouty/whiny voice). My husband wants to go to an outdoor movie Sat night (which isn't my thing...see introvert/social anxiety above), and then Sun (Father's day) we're going to the track for a big get together with a group of friends (see introvert status). Next Fri we're going to my family's for a week to help my parents with the house (I love my family best for short visits, or from a distance). So last night I told him all this, and pretty much laid it on him....if it's really important to you, I'll go, but these reasons are why I'd rather not. I feel a little guilty, 'cause he's an extrovert and actually likes hanging out with people, but not really.

This is exactly me. Like, every word. Except that my husband is even more introverted, so we're happy homebodies. :) Our families don't appreciate this. Apparently we're supposed to encourage each other to visit more often... Or something.

@LBuehrle8 I'm around! I'm just really, really tired today and pretty much laid around doing absolutely nothing. I have terrible insomnia and I haven't slept properly in a week, as mentioned earlier. As for the baked goods... My husband and I ate them all without taking pictures! :o I made chocolate chip cookies, the same ones I posted in the thread with that suggestion of mac and cheese... I was very craven. ;)

@BZAH10 I do venture into threads often, as long as they don't look like dumpster fire threads--I don't participate in those because I don't want to be caught in the cross fire. :)

It was nice to be asked about! It's currently 2.54 AM and fasting starts in 20 minutes. I've had my suhoor (pre-fasting meal) already... Still can't sleep. :-/ Tomorrow's gonna be a ball. Well, today actually. *sigh*

You're a great part of the thread! I'm sorry you're having so much trouble sleeping, I'd give you some of my sleepiness if I could as I have plenty to go around!

I so admire you for your religion and keeping so strict to Ramadan :)

Confession: I've never fasted in my life though there were supposed to be times for my religion I should have :/

I have always been impressed with how Muslims fast during Ramadan.....I fast a few times a year, but not like that!!! And we only fast until sundown, one day at a time, not a whole month! Also, we can drink, just not anything of substance like milk or whatnot. I would go nuts if I could not drink water while fasting!!
  • LBuehrle8
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

If anything, we would fit better in the motivation forum, not chit chat.

I think majority of us would have no problem with the thread being moved there. I will say the forum it's under now is my favorite forum and where I tend to lurk which is how I found this thread in the first place !
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options

Well what I like about this thread is the people and the support and motivation. Again, just speaking for myself, I got back on MFP only for the diary part as I had put on a few pounds. I have access to all the experts and professionals in real life that I could possibly want or need and a long history of working with experts in person as needed so this is not the place I'd probably go to get help or answers if I had a question. There may or may not be the most qualified people on earth posting here, I don't know because I'd go to someone in person. I am still here simply because of this thread and the kindness and personalities here. I would not likely have found it in chit chat as I briefly looked there and that was enough. I am not disagreeing with you that it may seem an odd place for it, but there are very likely reasons that it is where it is. I'm heading out to swim in this glorious heat! Have a great evening.
  • LBuehrle8
    Options

I don't think there's anything wrong with polite discussion, even when opposing views are offered. :)

Smarter beyond her years that one is! :)