Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Confession: I ate nearly 4000 calories yesterday. Mostly in bread and cookies. Ugh.

Anyhow, it's prayer time and the fast has started--I'm off to pray and then maybe get some sleep (I hope).

@ndj1979 True and true, but that's okay. We don't mind being wrong when it feels so right. :smiley: Although there are quite a lot of confessions in these 959 pages, if you care to browse for them.

eh - my confession - not sure how this would be helpful to newbies as it appears to be a collection of gifs, notes on tv series, and other things, while I am sure are fun to discuss, I fail to see their utility to someone new to weight loss.

I think it's here in the General section because a lot of people feel free to ask questions in here that often get blasted into dumpster fire threads under normal circumstances. A bit like the restaurant-related questions you mentioned in that post of yours... The forums are a scary place for newbies. The "No judgment" in the topic line seems to attract a lot of them, actually.

What you see right now isn't what the thread is like all the time--it's actually evolving constantly since it's so active. Since a lot of us have been here from the beginning, we do often just chit chat all together, but confessions and questions still pour in a lot.
    Agreed. And since this is a really supportive, safe zone, I honestly think a lot of people have been helped back from the verge of falling off the wagon by discussing their struggles here. Or had a helping hand back on when they have fallen. To be honest, I don't really care where this thread is, as long as it doesn't get nuked.

Same here, which is why I do kind of wonder why everyone jumps on the posters who dare to ask why it's in this particular section. Wouldn't it make more sense to explain all that before telling them to go away? :D

I don't understand why others are so offended by this thread? Apparently many more people than we knew or thought lurk and read every so often.

any other thread that was as off topic as this one would of been locked down by page 15….

just saying..

so the special status is interesting.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Confession: I ate nearly 4000 calories yesterday. Mostly in bread and cookies. Ugh.

Anyhow, it's prayer time and the fast has started--I'm off to pray and then maybe get some sleep (I hope).

@ndj1979 True and true, but that's okay. We don't mind being wrong when it feels so right. :smiley: Although there are quite a lot of confessions in these 959 pages, if you care to browse for them.

eh - my confession - not sure how this would be helpful to newbies as it appears to be a collection of gifs, notes on tv series, and other things, while I am sure are fun to discuss, I fail to see their utility to someone new to weight loss.

I think it's here in the General section because a lot of people feel free to ask questions in here that often get blasted into dumpster fire threads under normal circumstances. A bit like the restaurant-related questions you mentioned in that post of yours... The forums are a scary place for newbies. The "No judgment" in the topic line seems to attract a lot of them, actually.

What you see right now isn't what the thread is like all the time--it's actually evolving constantly since it's so active. Since a lot of us have been here from the beginning, we do often just chit chat all together, but confessions and questions still pour in a lot.
    Agreed. And since this is a really supportive, safe zone, I honestly think a lot of people have been helped back from the verge of falling off the wagon by discussing their struggles here. Or had a helping hand back on when they have fallen. To be honest, I don't really care where this thread is, as long as it doesn't get nuked.

Same here, which is why I do kind of wonder why everyone jumps on the posters who dare to ask why it's in this particular section. Wouldn't it make more sense to explain all that before telling them to go away? :D

I don't understand why others are so offended by this thread? Apparently many more people than we knew or thought lurk and read every so often.

I haven't really noticed anyone that seemed offended, per say--I have seen some that were somewhat mocking or condescending. In my opinion, I'd say we should live the spirit of the thread and give anyone who shows up and asks the benefit of the doubt and give a truthful, polite answer--but then, that's just my personality in general. :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

This must be what a Catholic priest feels like on back to back Easter Sundays.
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    So I just realized that a few pairs of the shorts I bought today look a bit like pajamas. I'm wondering if I accidentally bought pajamas, but I doubt it as they were amongst all the other clothes and away from the pajama section :neutral:

I don't think anyone at the resort is going to care anyway... people are going to be walking around in bathing suits all the time (count me out-too self conscious).

But this says something for my fashion sense!!
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    FOR ORANGESMARTIE:
    Keep on climbing that mountain, baby steps at a time. Sending all good wishes for your mum's surgery today. Have you taken your pill today? If not, go and do it now... Right now... Good. (((HUGS)))
    dblo0gftzxej.jpg

Thank you everyone for supportive messages.

I have taken my tablets today and yesterday.

@MoHousdon I love the idea that this is a village. I'm imagining us all in little English country cottages, nattering over the garden fence and on the village green

Good for you!

I would love that! As long as I can eat cookies and have tea. I would make an EXCELLENT English person/woman. Plus, I do a pretty good English accent.

I may have been doing one in my head just then. :blush:

Here, you have biscuits and tea. Cookies are 'merican

I was going to make the same correction. Us Brits are sensitive about our biscuits apparently.

No offense intended. I guess I wouldn't make a good Brit after all. :(

Definitely none taken. I'm sure you'd get by just fine. I'd like to hear your accent. I love hearing Americans try and do it. A guy I used to work with said his favourite word to say was 'people' and it cracked me up when he said it.

My favourite thing to do in an American (southern) accent is rhyme wagon and dragging...

I like to try an Aussie accent and say "maybe the dingo ate your baby" randomly. I'm getting pretty good at it.

HA! I do this when there's an awkward pause in conversation. You can tell a lot about someone by how they react to it.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Can I just say how awesome this thread has become?

Yes, it started out about trash bags, peanut butter, and hot chocolate powder, but it has evolved into a community within the MFP community where people actually CARE and SUPPORT one another through stupid decisions, horrible situations, and hilarious escapades.

You all rock. And if I wasn't super lazy, I would finally get around to friend requesting the rest of the regular posters.
    Super great.

You're all super great!

Agreed! You're all so incredibly wonderful. And now a certain poster who shall not be named, ( @quiksylver296 did you ever find out who this was) has stopped posting here, it truly IS a safe place.

I STILL DO NOT KNOW WHO THIS IS! I ASKED SEVERAL TIMES WHEN YA'LL WERE TALKING ABOUT IT BEFORE, SOMEONE PLEASE PLEASE FILL ME IN! PM me!!
  • Susieq_1994
    Options

any other thread that was as off topic as this one would of been locked down by page 15….

just saying..

Good point... Maybe we're all special snowflakes. ;)

Actually, I think the mods like the positivity and support that this thread continually generates, and since confessions still do pile in daily (and we don't judge them! Most of the time.), we're somewhat on topic. It would be pretty dumb to pull this thread when it's going so well--not that they don't lock down threads for dumb reasons pretty often.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

just saying..

Ahh okay now I see why people question it. I haven't been around long enough- I've only seen threads locked when people are arguing or someone gets out of line and starts with the personal attacks.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

just saying..

Actually, I think the mods like the positivity and support that this thread continually generates, and since confessions still do pile in daily (and we don't judge them! Most of the time.), we're somewhat on topic. It would be pretty dumb to pull this thread when it's going so well--not that they don't lock down threads for dumb reasons pretty often.

there is plenty of support in the main forums, it just is not sugar coated.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    ... Guys? It looks like the cool kids found us. Think we should run?
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options

just saying..

True, but some people need their hands held a bit. Nothing wrong with that.
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    ... Guys? It looks like the cool kids found us. Think we should run?
    Quick, to the BatCave.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/106593-confession-is-good-for-the-soul
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options

@njd1979 I agree with @Tubbs216 that this thread has offered support to many who may feel less comfortable in other areas, dipping toes in the waters of MFP so to speak. I will say that this thread is the ONLY reason I'm still on MFP. I had gained a few pounds and just wanted to log for awhile to recalibrate myself. I lost the 3-5 lbs I wanted to lose, but I'm still here. Not only am I still here but thanks to reading of the experiences of others who themselves have had issues with food and/or depression I am able to more fully understand my teen daughter who was seeming to be on the verge of an eating disorder. I'm working with her doctor and a nutritionist and doing research in proper journals, but this place offers the personal perspectives that can help. This thread inspired me to sign up for a 5K and I have not run regularly since I was injured running with my dog in 2006 (bad long lasting injury requiring months of PT). So the location of this thread in general help does seem to allow new people to find us which I think is a plus for them and for us. It is how I found this thread. What is the best exact designation of the thread? That is harder to place. It has taken on a life of its own and is full of people who are kind and open to others. Sometimes just that little act of kindness can be the nudge needed to keep on the healthier path.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options

just saying..

I agree--and I have nothing against that sort of advice, but it's pretty harsh for some newbies. I wouldn't call the advice here sugar-coated either, just usually couched in much more tactful terms.
  • Tubbs216
    Options

just saying..

I like to think we have some Jedi mind tricks going on, so the Mods don't see us.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

It's not that anyone is offended, the purpose of it is clear, and many like it. The issue many have is that it maintains a privileged status in a questionable location, when many more specific threads don't, and many posters who provide truly specific and valuable guidance receive "corrective action" because they are honest and don't sugar coat things. So, as much as "judgement free" can help some, many like myself, when starting, need a good kick in the *kitten*, but the "mean" threads that actually give sound advice get nuked, while the fluffy puppy thread that occasionally gets back to the discussion of General Diet and Weight Loss, ever so briefly, is given a superior ranking by those who get to make the decision.
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I say just leave us be. This thread is my mostest favoritest thing on here, and the people in here feel like a kind of family. I like the kindness and motivation that this thread provides, and I feel like I can come here and talk about my problems and people actually care.

Sometimes I like a bit of sugar coating ;)
  • Susieq_1994
    Options

just saying..

I like to think we have some Jedi mind tricks going on, so the Mods don't see us.

Ooh, are we that cool? But if we keep talking about them, won't they eventually show up? Speak of the devil and all that... Shhhhhh!
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

just saying..

I'd agree there is support in the main forums but the reality is not everyone is as thick skinned as you or I. This thread keeps the people (who would throw the towel in the bucket because they didn't like the deliverance on the main forums) coming back and maybe learning more about weight loss. May be a bit slower but better late than never.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    FOR ORANGESMARTIE:
    Keep on climbing that mountain, baby steps at a time. Sending all good wishes for your mum's surgery today. Have you taken your pill today? If not, go and do it now... Right now... Good. (((HUGS)))
    dblo0gftzxej.jpg

Thank you everyone for supportive messages.

I have taken my tablets today and yesterday.

@MoHousdon I love the idea that this is a village. I'm imagining us all in little English country cottages, nattering over the garden fence and on the village green

Good for you!

I would love that! As long as I can eat cookies and have tea. I would make an EXCELLENT English person/woman. Plus, I do a pretty good English accent.

I may have been doing one in my head just then. :blush:

Here, you have biscuits and tea. Cookies are 'merican

Alright, biscuits, then. :smile:

Biscuits always brings hard cookies to my mind, like Oreos or Digestives. Not that I have anything against them, but I want soft, chewy, gooey COOKIES! :o Or you know what? Gimme a scone. With butter.

I miss scones. Never been able to enjoy one since my Grandma passed away. She made the best and always made a special batch for me without raisins. I hate raisins!!

Count me in on the raisin-hating wagon!! In traditional Arabian dishes, raisins are popular to put into the rice. Makes me want to gag when I accidentally pop one into my mouth... X_X I *HATE* raisins. By themselves they're bad enough, but they absolutely ruin food for me when they're put into things like cookies or puddings. :-/

I am quite known for telling people that raisins "do not belong in food."

I do have a bag of the super tiny boxes in my office though. They're good for blood sugar headaches. Stupid raisins.

My mom always put raisins in the stuffing at Thanksgiving. I love it and thought everybody did that until the first time I cooked Thanksgiving dinner for my husband. He was like "what the hell is this?!". LMAO 11 years later and he still fears the raisins.

I put dried cranberries in mine. Yummy.

No, no, no, fruit does not belong in stuffing..not judging though :)

THIS

But...but stuffing with raisins is delightful!