Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I did well on my calories allllllll day... then the child asked to watch Spongebob Out of Water... No way I can do this sober... bring on the wine...

LOL! Good luck!

They do make some pretty messed up kids shows. My niece when she was 2-3 used to be obsessed with this show Oobi. It was a talking hand.

Ugh!!... I hated that show! (Sorry, I'm super far behind). But I miss The Upside Down Show. It was on for just a short period and really late at night.

She would watch that one too.

My nephew around that time was obsessed with The Fresh Beat Band & The Backyardigans.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    I did well on my calories allllllll day... then the child asked to watch Spongebob Out of Water... No way I can do this sober... bring on the wine...

LOL! Good luck!

They do make some pretty messed up kids shows. My niece when she was 2-3 used to be obsessed with this show Oobi. It was a talking hand.

Ugh!!... I hated that show! (Sorry, I'm super far behind). But I miss The Upside Down Show. It was on for just a short period and really late at night.

My nephew around that time was obsessed with The Fresh Beat Band & The Backyardigans.
    My son loves The Backyardigans!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    I know you hate people apologising for asking you questions, @Susieq_1994, but I only do because I feel like that stereotypical ignorant privileged white girl, and I don't want to offend.

So...there is that - robe, I'm sorry, I don't know the word for it - the long black one with the head and face covering. But it gets to 60C in Oman, right? So, um...how do the women not die of heatstroke?

That's alright, it doesn't offend me! :)

It's called an abaya, and most of them don't cover the head or face--They're basically just black dresses. I wear one myself. The headscarf and niqab (face covering) are all separate pieces. There is one that has a head covering attached as well, but these are mostly worn by older ladies, as it's just an older style.

That said, I wear the abaya and headscarf. I don't find it hot, personally--I actually find it cooler than when I wear "regular" clothing like skirts and blouses because the abaya tends to be very lightweight. It's also because I've been covering for a very long time--If I didn't cover, I'd probably feel hotter due to the sun burning my skin!

My sister wears a niqab, and according to her, it did feel very hot in the first week, but she says it doesn't feel like that anymore now that she's used to it.

Just an add-on: The abaya isn't a must, Islamically. Women are encouraged not to wear very bright colors for the purpose of attracting men (yes, men have a rule that involves not attracting women--it isn't a sexist rule), but you're allowed to wear whatever color you like, as long as you're covered properly.

I prefer the abaya in Saudi Arabia because everyone wears it (I've seen like... two people so far that didn't... Even the non-Muslims wear it!) and I just don't want to stand out. In Oman, I often wear regular colored dresses, skirts, blouses, etc. Unless I'm lazy. Because the abaya is really easy to just throw on and be done. ;)

Can I ask some follow ups? You say your sister wears a niqab; was that something she decided to do as an adult? And how did she come to that decision? And are you wearing your regular clothes under the abaya? Or is it like a "dress".

Thanks for educating me! :)

Yes, she decided to start wearing it two years ago. Nobody else in our family wears it and she's unmarried, so nobody influenced her in that decision--in Islam there are some scholars (I refuse to count the Sheikh Google people...) who believe the niqab is obligatory, and others who believe it is simply recommended based on evidence from the Qur'an and hadith. After doing some studying, my sister chose to go with the scholars who believe it's obligatory, and began covering her face from then on.

You do have to wear clothing under an abaya--it's basically a cover, but the material is too thin to wear with nothing but underwear underneath, for example. I usually wear jeans and a tank top underneath it--since we have to remain covered, it's best to have your legs covered in case the wind blows it up, for example. :) But I would wear the same under a dress, actually, although I would probably wear cotton pants underneath in that case.

Oh, can I ask if you have one of these? I've always wondered if it was hard to swim in the modest suits, because of the extra fabric:

8r71esdpgap0.jpg

Nope, I don't own one--those suits actually don't meet the fardh (obligatory) requirements for modest clothing for women, especially because they cling when they're wet, and the shape of the body is revealed, which is the major requirement of covering.

If I'm going to swim, I swim in an all-women's facility with a modest swimsuit (even women aren't supposed to reveal nakedness to other women) or just jump into the ocean fully clothed because that's fun. ;)

I'm not even totally caught up, but I am SO GLAD you opened up to us here @Susieq_1994 and are giving us all this info, both about your culture and your own personal self. I just gotta let it out: This girl *kitten* rocks!

Same goes for a lot of our regulars: @MoHousdon @Italian_Buju (BTW we are testing some AWESOME stuff here at my facility regarding diabetes, might be while before human clinical trials though.) @BZAH10 @pofoster21 @quiksylver296 @FrancI27 (I hope that's the right one) Sorry if I forgot some peeps! I love this thread so much. I think I love this thread more than I love guacamole.... and that's REALLY saying something.

How is your co-worker doing with their diabetes & trying to control it?

He is quitting. His last day will be July 3rd. He said he didn't like the idea of what we were doing and he wants to spend more time doing what HE wants to do. So he's quitting.

That sucks; hopefully, he'll realize you guys were only trying to help better his life.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Here is my confession: I haven't logged a bit of food for 4 months. I have gained almost 10 lbs in that time. I did keep up the exercise but my eating was super out of control. Several times I ate entire bags of candy on my own. Burgers, fries, pizza, all the stuff I know I should have only rarely, I have been pigging out on all of it. So I am starting over today. 159 and looking for 140. I sure hope I actually find it. Thanks for listening.

Yeah I know that if I ever stop logging I will gain again... I envy the people who know how to maintain without logging, but I love treats too much and I need MFP to remind me what moderation is.
    I confess that I bought PB2 with chocolate, thanks to posts from 100's of pages ago, and I didn't like it. It has a waxy aftertaste. Maybe I should have bought the plain? Now it's going to sit in my cupboard until it's so old I can finally throw it out without feeling guilty.

I've never tried it except in stuff. It's good in yogurt and oatmeal. And baking goods instead of PB.
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    I also caved to peer pressure and bought a couple of Quest bars. I just had the Raspberry White Chocolate one for dessert - it was ok but I wouldn't buy that one again. Expensive and not really worth it, IMO. I also bought the Chocolate Brownie one, so I'll see if I like that one more.

For what it's worth, they are better if you microwave them for 15 seconds. But yeah... I mean they were great when I started and was restricting my real dessert consumption, but now if I have 200 calories, unless my protein is really low, it's just not going to be my first choice. I still have a couple boxes in my pantry and eating them twice a month if that. I think some are expired by now but they still taste ok at least. I don't even find them that filling, but 99% of what people say is very filling isn't for me anyway.

Today I bought the Fiber One Salted Caramel Cheesecake bars & om nom nom it was delicious. I took out my Quest Bar for my morning breakfast tomorrow to eat a Fiber One bar instead.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Here is my confession: I haven't logged a bit of food for 4 months. I have gained almost 10 lbs in that time. I did keep up the exercise but my eating was super out of control. Several times I ate entire bags of candy on my own. Burgers, fries, pizza, all the stuff I know I should have only rarely, I have been pigging out on all of it. So I am starting over today. 159 and looking for 140. I sure hope I actually find it. Thanks for listening.

Yeah I know that if I ever stop logging I will gain again... I envy the people who know how to maintain without logging, but I love treats too much and I need MFP to remind me what moderation is.
    I confess that I bought PB2 with chocolate, thanks to posts from 100's of pages ago, and I didn't like it. It has a waxy aftertaste. Maybe I should have bought the plain? Now it's going to sit in my cupboard until it's so old I can finally throw it out without feeling guilty.

I've never tried it except in stuff. It's good in yogurt and oatmeal. And baking goods instead of PB.
    I also caved to peer pressure and bought a couple of Quest bars. I just had the Raspberry White Chocolate one for dessert - it was ok but I wouldn't buy that one again. Expensive and not really worth it, IMO. I also bought the Chocolate Brownie one, so I'll see if I like that one more.

For what it's worth, they are better if you microwave them for 15 seconds. But yeah... I mean they were great when I started and was restricting my real dessert consumption, but now if I have 200 calories, unless my protein is really low, it's just not going to be my first choice. I still have a couple boxes in my pantry and eating them twice a month if that. I think some are expired by now but they still taste ok at least. I don't even find them that filling, but 99% of what people say is very filling isn't for me anyway.

Today I bought the Fiber One Salted Caramel Cheesecake bars & om nom nom it was delicious. I took out my Quest Bar for my morning breakfast tomorrow to eat a Fiber One bar instead.

I tried the strawberry ones and they are ok but didn't taste much like cheesecake to me!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    I tried Breyers Gelato and cant say I was overly impressed. it was Raspberry Cheesecake. Now I wish I had got the cappuccino flavor cuz I love coffee ice cream. Is Breyers a poor representation of Gelato? Should I try the Talenti or is that brand about the same? I hate to waste cals on a so-so treat.

Heck to the no Talenti is so much better.

My recommendations would be Sea Salt Caramel, Salted Caramel Peanut (my absolute favorite), Caramel Apple Pie, Tiramisu, Mediterranean Mint, Southern Butter Pecan, & Belgian Milk Chocolate.
  • Cthululululu
    Cthululululu Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Tamales, a regular soda, and a Churro happened today.
    But my calorie deficit for the past week has been verging on insane (I don't eat my workout calories back, kept under 1200 calories a day, etc.) so I really do not feel bad at all. ;3
  • pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options

LOL! Good luck!

My kids are finally starting to outgrow most cartoons, including Spongebob, and are switching over to all of those tween shows (Girl Meets World, Jesse, Liv and Maddie). Though I did catch my 13-year-old laying in my bed watching Spongebob all by herself the other day. No younger siblings to blame in on :).
  • pearso21123
    Options

Hmmm... I'll recommend it to my husband. He loves adding peanut butter to everything. I'm not a huge PB fan, but I like a PBJ sandwich once in a while.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Ate over my calories today :X ugh. *kitten* granola. I didn't even like it that much. I haven't been in the mood for carbs lately. Only sugar. Lots of sugar.
    I'm trying not to be upset about it and I don't know why I am.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Father's Day was a bust for us. Ended up in the ER with my daughter. Sick with fever for over a week and a rash came on and looks awful. No definite diagnosis, but possibly a reaction to an antibiotic. Had Chipotle for lunch and just had some homemade banana pudding for dinner. We were supposed to take it to my FIL's house for a gathering today, but it never made it. That was the best one I made yet.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options

LOL! Good luck!

My kids are finally starting to outgrow most cartoons, including Spongebob, and are switching over to all of those tween shows (Girl Meets World, Jesse, Liv and Maddie). Though I did catch my 13-year-old laying in my bed watching Spongebob all by herself the other day. No younger siblings to blame in on :).

I'm legally an adult and I still watch cartoons by myself :P (well, only adventure time and futurama, but still.)
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    kpfry67 wrote: »
    I pretty much skip entering bad snacks on my food diary, and drinks. Basically just really really sloppy on entering calories on the thing. ;p

Tsk tsk tsk
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »
    Father's Day was a bust for us. Ended up in the ER with my daughter. Sick with fever for over a week and a rash came on and looks awful. No definite diagnosis, but possibly a reaction to an antibiotic. Had Chipotle for lunch and just had some homemade banana pudding for dinner. We were supposed to take it to my FIL's house for a gathering today, but it never made it. That was the best one I made yet.

At least the pudding was good. Sorry about your girl. Thinking about you beautiful lady.

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options

Aww hoping your little one feels better soon:(.

Haven't had Chipotle in forever.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options

LOL! Good luck!

I'm legally an adult and I still watch cartoons by myself :P (well, only adventure time and futurama, but still.)

I'll admit on my days off if I am up at 7:30-8:00; occasionally I'll watch Spongebob if it's on but mostly I'll turn it on That '70's Show or the ID Channel.
  • pearso21123
    Options

LOL! Good luck!

:). I'm taking the kids to see Inside Out this week, and I confess that I may be more excited about it then they are.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options

Aww hoping your little one feels better soon:(.

Haven't had Chipotle in forever.

Thanks for the good wishes. She is full of energy when the fever is down, you'd never know anything was wrong. Just hoping that ends soon. Now I am waiting for about an hour to let my dinner process, then I am going to go lift. I might do some other stuff after too, if I have the energy.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    EDC was amazing!!

Here's some pictures

6CsT7Aq.jpg

RUJnyHP.jpg

ipGKLTp.jpg

wEhIvWG.jpg

bRv41rp.jpg

7i12oIJ.jpg

uU0idFg.jpg
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Charlie and I are off to the zoo today. Last time we went, we walked 6 miles! Enjoy your day everyone!

Awesome, have fun! I love the zoo...maybe as much as my son does. I can't wait to go this year!

I'm about to go run on the treadmill for the first time since getting sick on Monday. This is the longest rest period I've ever taken!! I'm nervous. Wish me luck!

Good luck! Better late than never, right? I'm sure you did great