Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    The problem with going to bed at 10 pm is I am wide awake at 2 am! Good morning Susie and my British MFPers...
    I didn't go to bed at 10 pm and I'm wide awake at 2 am! Hii.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    trvlpk wrote: »
    I don't know how to eat "healthy" and do not know what good nutrition means. :/ Also, I am a compulsive overeater/food addict that is finding it very hard to find recovery.

I missed this post first time around. Thanks to mrbungle for quoting.

You are not alone. Many people here are battling the same as you. I have a medical diagnosis of binge eating and compulsive eating and have had counselling and all sorts. Some days the binge monster wins, some days I win.

Set yourself smaller goals, and focus on the positive. Perhaps every meal, where you keep to your portion, pat yourself on the back and say well done. Say nice things to yourself. Tell yourself how well you did.

If the binge monster gets you, when you're finished say, ok you won the battle but I'm winning the war, we're done for now. Then, if you're able, go do something nice for yourself, like a short walk, or a nice bath.

Don't focus on the food, focus on being nice to yourself, even when you've slipped, practice thinking good things about yourself, even if its just to say, that was a binge, but I'm finished now,I don't need more, well done for recognising the end. The start is to take away the guilt/shamre/self loathing. Sounds easy right? Its not, it takes a lot of work.

If you're able, put nice messages on your cupboard/fridge doors, like I have beautiful eyes, I am a great person, my dimples are cute, do that so you can remind yourself every time you open the door that you are more than a bingre eater.

Once you get in the habit of being nice to yourself, you (we, because all of us here will support you) can help you tackle the food side. The key is taking very small baby steps. Maybe an hour, or meal at a time. Don't think of the big picture, just focus on your feet*

* I'm climbing a mountain in 2 weeks. All through our training we have said, never look at the summit, or you'll get disheartened on how far there is to go. Instead, look at your feet and where you're going to place them next. Celebrate each step you take, because it moves you forward.

A book I find useful is 'brain over binge' by Kathryn Hansen. Not the same circumstances, but talks about binging as a monster, and a 2 year old child and once you engage with it, start negotiating, you've lost. (I hope I'm allowed to recommend a book without getting a warning).

Use this thread. If you are feeling bingey, come and post here. We're all over the world, so there's usually someone awake. And feel free to message me if you want to talk :)

You're not on your own :)
  • orangesmartie
    Options
    Here is my confession: I haven't logged a bit of food for 4 months. I have gained almost 10 lbs in that time. I did keep up the exercise but my eating was super out of control. Several times I ate entire bags of candy on my own. Burgers, fries, pizza, all the stuff I know I should have only rarely, I have been pigging out on all of it. So I am starting over today. 159 and looking for 140. I sure hope I actually find it. Thanks for listening.

Welcome to the thread. You got this, you know how to do it. Stick with it
  • orangesmartie
    Options
    The problem with going to bed at 10 pm is I am wide awake at 2 am! Good morning Susie and my British MFPers...

Good morning!
  • orangesmartie
    Options
    Charlie wide awake and bouncing around. I think we're going swimming this morning. Although he's just told me he wants to go see penguins and seals today. Yay more steps lol
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    Stopping by briefly to post my own bicep pic! I wanted in on the action. :)wqoab341wnrv.jpg
    Nice job!

I confess that the forums have honestly opened me up to new foods, or at least to local restaurants. All I want to do for my birthday in December is go downtown and have dinner and ice cream somewhere I've never been.

I love that you're already thinking about your birthday dinner and dessert...six months away! :) That's awesome!
  • kelly_c_77
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I see Wonder Woman, also, @quiksylver296. Also, I'm a bit dyslexic (which another reason I have a hard time remembering full screen names) and I always call you "Quickysilver" in my head. That "y" seems to trip me up every time!

Confession: I have to go buy my husband a Father's Day card and gift after work and we're not even on speaking terms right now. This should be fun.

I always see Quickysilver too!
    Sorry about the non-speaking moment. Maybe get a jokey type card? Then laugh about it and make up..?

Thank you! Went with a " you're a great dad and grandpa " card with a bottle of tequila 1800. See how it goes tomorrow.

Sounds like it should work...let us know!
  • kelly_c_77
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Charlie and I are off to the zoo today. Last time we went, we walked 6 miles! Enjoy your day everyone!

Awesome, have fun! I love the zoo...maybe as much as my son does. I can't wait to go this year!

I'm about to go run on the treadmill for the first time since getting sick on Monday. This is the longest rest period I've ever taken!! I'm nervous. Wish me luck!

Sometimes a break is the best thing for running. You come back stronger and faster. Hope it went well!

That's what I've heard and was hoping for. Nope, not for me. I just couldn't get back into the groove. Will try again this morning...

And wowza on your muscle pic!!! Impressive! :)
  • kelly_c_77
    Options
    @MoHousdon, I just saw a story about a pitbull in CT that was just reunited with his family after being lost for 1.5 years! There are always so many stories of dogs/cats finally making it home after being lost for many months and even years!! I just wanted to give you a little bit of hope in the safe return of Owen! Never give up hope <3
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    KrisiAnnH wrote: »
    Confession; I made a Chocolate Guinness cake this evening for my dad for fathers day, and I may have had a tablespoon of the chocolatey battery goodness...and licked the mixing spoon after (old habits die hard and all that, I very rarely bake so at least its not a regular thing?). In my defence, you have to taste test your own cooking right? :D

So is the chocolate Guinness cake good? I copied the recipe (somebody on here probably mentioned it hundreds of pages ago) but I've never made it.

I'm a non-drinker but I strangely love food made with booze... vodka sauce for pasta, beer cheese soup.

It's really good actually! I used the Nigella Lawson recipe though and that woman does not understand normal potion sizes haha, the end result ended up being twice as big as cakes I normally make! The guinness makes the batter really liquidy though, so the end cake is really light and moist. I've only ever had it when other people have made it before, but for a first attempt I'm pretty pleased.

Ah me too, I drink on occasion but have cut down a lot recently to special occasions so I dont drink often at all now. I love vodka chilli, never quite perfected making it myself though. Beer cheese soup? I didn't even know that existed but it sounds absolutely amazing! haha.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    trvlpk wrote: »
    I don't know how to eat "healthy" and do not know what good nutrition means. :/ Also, I am a compulsive overeater/food addict that is finding it very hard to find recovery.

I missed this post first time around. Thanks to mrbungle for quoting.

You are not alone. Many people here are battling the same as you. I have a medical diagnosis of binge eating and compulsive eating and have had counselling and all sorts. Some days the binge monster wins, some days I win.

Set yourself smaller goals, and focus on the positive. Perhaps every meal, where you keep to your portion, pat yourself on the back and say well done. Say nice things to yourself. Tell yourself how well you did.

If the binge monster gets you, when you're finished say, ok you won the battle but I'm winning the war, we're done for now. Then, if you're able, go do something nice for yourself, like a short walk, or a nice bath.

Don't focus on the food, focus on being nice to yourself, even when you've slipped, practice thinking good things about yourself, even if its just to say, that was a binge, but I'm finished now,I don't need more, well done for recognising the end. The start is to take away the guilt/shamre/self loathing. Sounds easy right? Its not, it takes a lot of work.

If you're able, put nice messages on your cupboard/fridge doors, like I have beautiful eyes, I am a great person, my dimples are cute, do that so you can remind yourself every time you open the door that you are more than a bingre eater.

Once you get in the habit of being nice to yourself, you (we, because all of us here will support you) can help you tackle the food side. The key is taking very small baby steps. Maybe an hour, or meal at a time. Don't think of the big picture, just focus on your feet*

* I'm climbing a mountain in 2 weeks. All through our training we have said, never look at the summit, or you'll get disheartened on how far there is to go. Instead, look at your feet and where you're going to place them next. Celebrate each step you take, because it moves you forward.

A book I find useful is 'brain over binge' by Kathryn Hansen. Not the same circumstances, but talks about binging as a monster, and a 2 year old child and once you engage with it, start negotiating, you've lost. (I hope I'm allowed to recommend a book without getting a warning).

Use this thread. If you are feeling bingey, come and post here. We're all over the world, so there's usually someone awake. And feel free to message me if you want to talk :)

You're not on your own :)

Very well said. I have a quote on my wall at work that says it's never too late to become the person you might have been. I love that quote. There are endless possibilities in life and you choose where to take it.

I echo orangesmartie and mrbunglex welcome and stick around. You will be glad you did!
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    I didn't go to bed at 10 pm and I'm wide awake at 2 am! Hii.

Oops sorry I missed you! I went off exploring other threads since I had the time! Still saw nothing of interest except this one tough love thread that I want to post a link to the article in there but couldn't figure it out so gave up. I'll try from my computer as opposed to my tablet. This is still hands down the best thread out there!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Here is my confession: I haven't logged a bit of food for 4 months. I have gained almost 10 lbs in that time. I did keep up the exercise but my eating was super out of control. Several times I ate entire bags of candy on my own. Burgers, fries, pizza, all the stuff I know I should have only rarely, I have been pigging out on all of it. So I am starting over today. 159 and looking for 140. I sure hope I actually find it. Thanks for listening.

Yeah I know that if I ever stop logging I will gain again... I envy the people who know how to maintain without logging, but I love treats too much and I need MFP to remind me what moderation is.
    I confess that I bought PB2 with chocolate, thanks to posts from 100's of pages ago, and I didn't like it. It has a waxy aftertaste. Maybe I should have bought the plain? Now it's going to sit in my cupboard until it's so old I can finally throw it out without feeling guilty.

I've never tried it except in stuff. It's good in yogurt and oatmeal. And baking goods instead of PB.
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    I also caved to peer pressure and bought a couple of Quest bars. I just had the Raspberry White Chocolate one for dessert - it was ok but I wouldn't buy that one again. Expensive and not really worth it, IMO. I also bought the Chocolate Brownie one, so I'll see if I like that one more.

For what it's worth, they are better if you microwave them for 15 seconds. But yeah... I mean they were great when I started and was restricting my real dessert consumption, but now if I have 200 calories, unless my protein is really low, it's just not going to be my first choice. I still have a couple boxes in my pantry and eating them twice a month if that. I think some are expired by now but they still taste ok at least. I don't even find them that filling, but 99% of what people say is very filling isn't for me anyway.
  • Francl27
    Options
    kensjojo wrote: »
    How far off are the calorie burns on mfp??? I've been living a lie!!!!!!!! Ugh I always use my stationary bike for an hour and then get all proud of my calories... I thought they were off so I just wrote it in as less time and effort but how on earth do you find out the true calorie burn??? :'(

Well I'll be honest... when I see what I burn on the stationary bike, I want to cry. I know that my $100 bike gives me the exact same numbers as my heart rate monitor too... and it's very sad. I can pedal like a maniac for 45 minutes and it only burns 220 calories... and my legs are jello after that. It sucks. MFP gives me 475 calories in the same time for 'virgorous effort'. Not even close...
    Dinner went well folks! I get so stressed cooking for others since I never do it but so pleased it turned out well! Cats even made an appearance. Great day. Good night!

Awesome!
  • Francl27
    Options
    Ok my confessions - I always use the restroom with the door open. Took a while for my husband to get used to that one. I guess I'm going to have to get over it though as my kids are 7 and at some point enough is enough...

Second one - I dreamed of food ALL NIGHT. Got up at 6.15am, a little bit hungry, and I had the strawberry shortcake I've been craving for weeks. Delicious. Got extremely bummed to weigh the shortcake though and realized it was 25% heavier than the package said, so there goes 50 more calorie (it's the TJ brand). Still totally worth it, although I'm expecting to be hungry again in less than 2 hours :( That was my only craving though. I'm back to beeing craving-less.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Ok my confessions - I always use the restroom with the door open. Took a while for my husband to get used to that one. I guess I'm going to have to get over it though as my kids are 7 and at some point enough is enough...

Second one - I dreamed of food ALL NIGHT. Got up at 6.15am, a little bit hungry, and I had the strawberry shortcake I've been craving for weeks. Delicious. Got extremely bummed to weigh the shortcake though and realized it was 25% heavier than the package said, so there goes 50 more calorie (it's the TJ brand). Still totally worth it, although I'm expecting to be hungry again in less than 2 hours :( That was my only craving though. I'm back to beeing craving-less.

I have done this. Except for me it was for REALLY 'unhealthy' food like McDonald's Double Cheeseburgers...or Wendy's Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers... Thankfully, I indulged in the McDonald's craving so I haven't had as big of an issue with it right now.

I'm sorry if I caused anyone else to have a craving by mentioning these items.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    I know you hate people apologising for asking you questions, @Susieq_1994, but I only do because I feel like that stereotypical ignorant privileged white girl, and I don't want to offend.

So...there is that - robe, I'm sorry, I don't know the word for it - the long black one with the head and face covering. But it gets to 60C in Oman, right? So, um...how do the women not die of heatstroke?

That's alright, it doesn't offend me! :)

It's called an abaya, and most of them don't cover the head or face--They're basically just black dresses. I wear one myself. The headscarf and niqab (face covering) are all separate pieces. There is one that has a head covering attached as well, but these are mostly worn by older ladies, as it's just an older style.

That said, I wear the abaya and headscarf. I don't find it hot, personally--I actually find it cooler than when I wear "regular" clothing like skirts and blouses because the abaya tends to be very lightweight. It's also because I've been covering for a very long time--If I didn't cover, I'd probably feel hotter due to the sun burning my skin!

My sister wears a niqab, and according to her, it did feel very hot in the first week, but she says it doesn't feel like that anymore now that she's used to it.

Just an add-on: The abaya isn't a must, Islamically. Women are encouraged not to wear very bright colors for the purpose of attracting men (yes, men have a rule that involves not attracting women--it isn't a sexist rule), but you're allowed to wear whatever color you like, as long as you're covered properly.

I prefer the abaya in Saudi Arabia because everyone wears it (I've seen like... two people so far that didn't... Even the non-Muslims wear it!) and I just don't want to stand out. In Oman, I often wear regular colored dresses, skirts, blouses, etc. Unless I'm lazy. Because the abaya is really easy to just throw on and be done. ;)

Can I ask some follow ups? You say your sister wears a niqab; was that something she decided to do as an adult? And how did she come to that decision? And are you wearing your regular clothes under the abaya? Or is it like a "dress".

Thanks for educating me! :)

Yes, she decided to start wearing it two years ago. Nobody else in our family wears it and she's unmarried, so nobody influenced her in that decision--in Islam there are some scholars (I refuse to count the Sheikh Google people...) who believe the niqab is obligatory, and others who believe it is simply recommended based on evidence from the Qur'an and hadith. After doing some studying, my sister chose to go with the scholars who believe it's obligatory, and began covering her face from then on.

You do have to wear clothing under an abaya--it's basically a cover, but the material is too thin to wear with nothing but underwear underneath, for example. I usually wear jeans and a tank top underneath it--since we have to remain covered, it's best to have your legs covered in case the wind blows it up, for example. :) But I would wear the same under a dress, actually, although I would probably wear cotton pants underneath in that case.

Oh, can I ask if you have one of these? I've always wondered if it was hard to swim in the modest suits, because of the extra fabric:

8r71esdpgap0.jpg

Nope, I don't own one--those suits actually don't meet the fardh (obligatory) requirements for modest clothing for women, especially because they cling when they're wet, and the shape of the body is revealed, which is the major requirement of covering.

If I'm going to swim, I swim in an all-women's facility with a modest swimsuit (even women aren't supposed to reveal nakedness to other women) or just jump into the ocean fully clothed because that's fun. ;)

I'm not even totally caught up, but I am SO GLAD you opened up to us here @Susieq_1994 and are giving us all this info, both about your culture and your own personal self. I just gotta let it out: This girl *kitten* rocks!

Same goes for a lot of our regulars: @MoHousdon @Italian_Buju (BTW we are testing some AWESOME stuff here at my facility regarding diabetes, might be while before human clinical trials though.) @BZAH10 @pofoster21 @quiksylver296 @FrancI27 (I hope that's the right one) Sorry if I forgot some peeps! I love this thread so much. I think I love this thread more than I love guacamole.... and that's REALLY saying something.

How is your co-worker doing with their diabetes & trying to control it?

He is quitting. His last day will be July 3rd. He said he didn't like the idea of what we were doing and he wants to spend more time doing what HE wants to do. So he's quitting.

Brilliant.....well, things are not gonna end well for him.....
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options

I went to bed at a normal hour for me....knowing I did not have to wake up until 9am, since I am going into work at 11am.....my SO woke me up at a bit after 6 thinking I had to go in at 7....now I am wide awake and gonna end up dying later.....ugh
  • ohgeeque
    ohgeeque Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Day three of my birthday weekend. I want to thank everyone for the kind wishes and sound advice. I did eat cake and fried chicken. I did have a great time with my family. If I count ALL of my exercise calories, I did stay in the green.

I confess that I have a perceptional problem. I feel that if I don't stay in the green I will suddenly gain back all of the weight that I have loss. I know that isn't true. I even understand that that there is a buffer space between weight loss and weigh gain that means any loss will be lower than my target goal but not an actual gain. What I know and how I feel are not in sync.

I had an eating disorder 15 years ago. I see the pictures, 5'7" and 103 lbs. and even I am appalled. I don't want to go there again. I don't know what else to say. :(

• Francl27
    Options
    ohgeeque wrote: »
    Day three of my birthday weekend. I want to thank everyone for the kind wishes and sound advice. I did eat cake and fried chicken. I did have a great time with my family. If I count ALL of my exercise calories, I did stay in the green.

I confess that I have a perceptional problem. I feel that if I don't stay in the green I will suddenly gain back all of the weight that I have loss. I know that isn't true. I even understand that that there is a buffer space between weight loss and weigh gain that means any loss will be lower than my target goal but not an actual gain. What I know and how I feel are not in sync.

I had an eating disorder 15 years ago. I see the pictures, 5'7" and 103 lbs. and even I am appalled. I don't want to go there again. I don't know what else to say. :(

I worry about those things too... but fantastic job sticking to your goal with all that eating! I wouldn't have done it.