Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    The difficulty is that we are attempting to interpret the meaning of a term "fattening" to multiple communities.

One being the lay person - those generally ignorant of the issues surrounding weight management.

The other being the average MFP user - while many may disagree on the particulars there is a minimum foundation of the variables impacting weight management.

Having this foundational knowledge does lead one to challenge so called "established" thinking and makes terms such as fattening very situational dependent. There is a great deal of bias in this as the majority of MFP users are more focused on deficit; however this term is going to have a different meaning to those focusing on gaining.

Based upon this thread alone, I'd strongly disagree with the bolded. Reading most of the other threads on MFP would only strengthen that stance. MFP users, as a whole, are just as enraptured with woo, fearmongering and pseudoscience as the uneducated lay person. Cleanses/detoxes. Juice fasts. Apple cider vinegar. Green tea. MLM scams. Sugar/carb demonization. The magickal, miraculous wizardries of keto and IF. Military diet. Gaining slabs of muscle while eating 1000 calories of lettuce and doing 4 hours of cardio per day. Et cetera ad nauseum.

I will, however, agree with the above if we establish "minimum foundation" as being on a level with the derpy weight loss/diet articles found in magazines and the garbage in Netflix "documentaries".

Now there's one that's like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Is this just lazy language, or do people think that the documentaries they see on Netflix are original content (the vast majority are not)?

It would be like referring to movies as AMC movies or television shows as Comcast shows.

Note the "in" before Netflix. They mean the category of Documentaries on Netflix, not that they are Netflix produced.

The "in" doesn't modify in that way at all.

"in" is the location of the information, which is followed by the source of said information. It would work as "documentaries in/on Netflix," but not as "in Netflix documentaries."

Parse it however you like; it was mainly intended in a derisive/tongue in cheek sense. Similar to if I had said "being on a level with the weight loss/diet 'facts' in/on the Dr. Oz show".

For the official record, I'm fully aware that Netflix doesn't produce their own content. Nor does any other network/broadcast entity, for the most part.

You're missing out! Netflix has some great original content - I just wouldn't make life or health decisions based on anything I've seen ;)

But, you'd look awesome in orange. :wink:
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Cars didn't have 12 cupholders when i was a child - most didn't even have one - and not because we were all balancing ubiquitous sugary mega drink cups on our knees in the car. Drive-up food happened, we got commercials with cute families buying happy food for cheap (and easy), and cars got cupholders.

We didn't have cupholders built into our cars when I was a child but we did have those plastic cupholders that hung off the car window to holder our cans of soda.
    2twecgorrhlt.jpg

While searching for that pic I came across an interesting article on the history of the car cupholder. In 1957 Cadillac had a car with a magnetic glove compartment that came with metal tumblers. :D
    http://www.bonappetit.com/trends/article/the-history-of-the-car-cup-holder

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/08/germanys-bmw-surrenders-to-usas-cupholder-fixation/1#.WYR3prFlChA

This is a funny article regarding BMW's and cup holders.

Driving on the Autobahn with both hands on the wheel is probably a good idea.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Cars didn't have 12 cupholders when i was a child - most didn't even have one - and not because we were all balancing ubiquitous sugary mega drink cups on our knees in the car. Drive-up food happened, we got commercials with cute families buying happy food for cheap (and easy), and cars got cupholders.

We didn't have cupholders built into our cars when I was a child but we did have those plastic cupholders that hung off the car window to holder our cans of soda.
    2twecgorrhlt.jpg

While searching for that pic I came across an interesting article on the history of the car cupholder. In 1957 Cadillac had a car with a magnetic glove compartment that came with metal tumblers. :D

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/08/germanys-bmw-surrenders-to-usas-cupholder-fixation/1#.WYR3prFlChA

My VW Jetta had two tiny cup holders that would only hold soda cans, nothing taller or wider. Nothing at all in the back seat. Drove me nuts. Doesn't BMW make VW?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

2twecgorrhlt.jpg

My VW Jetta had two tiny cup holders that would only hold soda cans, nothing taller or wider. Nothing at all in the back seat. Drove me nuts. Doesn't BMW make VW?

BMW owns Mini and Rolls Royce. VW owns even more but not BMW.

ebhwa08v75s3.gif

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I am extremely confused by purposely making food not taste good because "it's fuel". Or maybe the argument is the old parent argument of "poor children in Africa can't enjoy their food so you aren't allowed to either"?

So am I, who stated that?

What is your point?

I will agree that you're not explicitly against food tasting good, but you seem to have an issue with people enjoying it. It would follow, logically, that part of enjoying food is enjoying how it tastes.

You seem to have very black or white thinking on this issue. Reading between the lines of what you posted, it's almost as if it's not okay in your books for fat people to enjoy food for pleasure because they're fat.

Why?

Why can't food be good, and pleasurable and still within the realm of someone's correct energy balance?

I think your cut-and-dried, rather dull "food is fuel" and your initial point was that maybe fat people should remove emotions from eating as... what? Punishment for being fat? OR is that your solution to the obesity crisis?

Whatever you're doing, I don't think people who ignore the nuances of humankind's relationship with food have a balanced relationship with it. Food as fuel is just one aspect.

You might want to do some soul searching.

There are millions of people with a destructive, dysfunctional relationship with food - I will leave the deep soul searching to them, and not waste a moment of my time dissecting something that I do actually enjoy and is giving me great results. I'm former military and I think that there is a disconnect between my perception of discipline and delayed gratification and the mindset of others.

You're right. If you use the search function for these forums and search for emotional eating and stress eating (IMO just a subset of emotional eating) you will get 1,000 hits (which is apparently the max) for each of them.

The emotional ties to food surely are resulting in weight issues.

For some people.

Not all.

This is besides the original point, but you two are too busy back-patting each other to realize that you've strayed from it.

OR..

Are you deflecting from the original point BryLander made about the "epidemic" of emotional eating and the need to diminish the prevalence of eating for pleasure?

So emotional eating isn't an epidemic? So what is your theory on why so many people are overweight, did 68.8% of the people in the US just spontaneously get fat?

They don't move and eat too many calories

Surely not the only reason, but couldn't emotional eating be the reason some of the overweight and obese eat too many calories?

Some != "epidemic"

Because we live in a very fast paced and lazy society. And fattening foods are so easily and quickly available...... oh and the advertiaing we are subjected to.

foods in general are not "fattening" it's the amount of food we eat that makes us fat and lack of movement...

As for the "advertiaing" please we are all grown ups and get to choose what we put in our mouth...*rolls eyes* that sounds like a cop out to me....

Yeah okay so donuts and maccas fries arent fattening, right? If we ate these every day we would most likely put on weight if you eat an apple every day obviously not.
    I think its a cop out the amount of people that say that sort of thing. *rolls eyes*
    Obviously you wont gain weight if you maintain a balanced diet and stay in you calorie needa etc, but to say foods in generel aren't fattening is a cop out.

And sure maybe you are the 1 in a million person that isnt influenced by advertising.....

It is designed to influence us on so many levels obvious and subconsciously. You might not want to buy a big mac or a honda or a certain insurance policy emmidiately... but those messages stick with you wether you think its a cop out or not.

I eat a donut every Saturday morning (it's a tradition that my husband's grandfather has been doing for years). I ate that donut every week while thin, then overweight, then in my weight loss phase, then in the transition period between weight loss and maintenance, and now over 4 years into maintenance I still eat a donut every single Saturday, and will continue to do so until he passes away. A donut is made up of calories, just like every other food. I've learned how to fit the donut into my calorie targets, just like I've learned how to fit in the apples I eat, (which always include caramel dip lol).

As for advertising goes-no tv here, or FB, or delivery newspapers or magazines etc. I've even blocked the ads here on MFP. I'm a big kid now so I've figured out how to act like a grown up, most of the times :D

Eating one donut a week isn't really comparable to eating donuts and macca fries (whatever that is) every day. Not saying there is anything wrong with either, just saying they are pretty different.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    DamieBird wrote: »
    All of this dairy talk brings up an unpopular opinion that I have:
    I hate the very concept of alternative milks. Okay, I get it, if you have a medical reason and can't process dairy then use the almond/soy/cashew or whatever milk in your smoothie/coffee/cereal, etc. Or, get Lactiad. I've seen nothing that convinces me that they are healthier or better alternatives to plain ol' dairy. They may be lower calories, but that doesn't automatically make them more nutritious.
    +1. It's like when people say "I'm eating cauliflower pizza". IT AIN'T PIZZA if it's cauliflower.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

How about when people go on about a meatless lasagna.

Ah, you mean a casserole.

I'm Sicilian so that really offends me... lol!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    Thing I learned. VW owns Porsche. Huh.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I am extremely confused by purposely making food not taste good because "it's fuel". Or maybe the argument is the old parent argument of "poor children in Africa can't enjoy their food so you aren't allowed to either"?

What is your point?

I will agree that you're not explicitly against food tasting good, but you seem to have an issue with people enjoying it. It would follow, logically, that part of enjoying food is enjoying how it tastes.

You seem to have very black or white thinking on this issue. Reading between the lines of what you posted, it's almost as if it's not okay in your books for fat people to enjoy food for pleasure because they're fat.

Why?

Why can't food be good, and pleasurable and still within the realm of someone's correct energy balance?

I think your cut-and-dried, rather dull "food is fuel" and your initial point was that maybe fat people should remove emotions from eating as... what? Punishment for being fat? OR is that your solution to the obesity crisis?

Whatever you're doing, I don't think people who ignore the nuances of humankind's relationship with food have a balanced relationship with it. Food as fuel is just one aspect.

There are millions of people with a destructive, dysfunctional relationship with food - I will leave the deep soul searching to them, and not waste a moment of my time dissecting something that I do actually enjoy and is giving me great results. I'm former military and I think that there is a disconnect between my perception of discipline and delayed gratification and the mindset of others.

You're right. If you use the search function for these forums and search for emotional eating and stress eating (IMO just a subset of emotional eating) you will get 1,000 hits (which is apparently the max) for each of them.

For some people.

Not all.

This is besides the original point, but you two are too busy back-patting each other to realize that you've strayed from it.

OR..

Are you deflecting from the original point BryLander made about the "epidemic" of emotional eating and the need to diminish the prevalence of eating for pleasure?

So emotional eating isn't an epidemic? So what is your theory on why so many people are overweight, did 68.8% of the people in the US just spontaneously get fat?

Surely not the only reason, but couldn't emotional eating be the reason some of the overweight and obese eat too many calories?

Some != "epidemic"

Because we live in a very fast paced and lazy society. And fattening foods are so easily and quickly available...... oh and the advertiaing we are subjected to.

foods in general are not "fattening" it's the amount of food we eat that makes us fat and lack of movement...

As for the "advertiaing" please we are all grown ups and get to choose what we put in our mouth...*rolls eyes* that sounds like a cop out to me....

Yeah okay so donuts and maccas fries arent fattening, right? If we ate these every day we would most likely put on weight if you eat an apple every day obviously not.
    I think its a cop out the amount of people that say that sort of thing. *rolls eyes*
    Obviously you wont gain weight if you maintain a balanced diet and stay in you calorie needa etc, but to say foods in generel aren't fattening is a cop out.

And sure maybe you are the 1 in a million person that isnt influenced by advertising.....

It is designed to influence us on so many levels obvious and subconsciously. You might not want to buy a big mac or a honda or a certain insurance policy emmidiately... but those messages stick with you wether you think its a cop out or not.

I eat a donut every Saturday morning (it's a tradition that my husband's grandfather has been doing for years). I ate that donut every week while thin, then overweight, then in my weight loss phase, then in the transition period between weight loss and maintenance, and now over 4 years into maintenance I still eat a donut every single Saturday, and will continue to do so until he passes away. A donut is made up of calories, just like every other food. I've learned how to fit the donut into my calorie targets, just like I've learned how to fit in the apples I eat, (which always include caramel dip lol).

As for advertising goes-no tv here, or FB, or delivery newspapers or magazines etc. I've even blocked the ads here on MFP. I'm a big kid now so I've figured out how to act like a grown up, most of the times :D

Eating one donut a week isn't really comparable to eating donuts and macca fries (whatever that is) every day. Not saying there is anything wrong with either, just saying they are pretty different.

I think Maccas is the Australian slang for McDonalds but I could be wrong. It's what I've gleaned from discussions on these boards over the years.

Also there are good examples posted on the forums of people who temporarily engage in a primarily or exclusively "junk food diet" with no adverse effects for weight or health markers, in fact most continued to see improvements in whatever goal they were striving for.

Haha yeah, Maccas is slang for Mcdonalds here. It's so wide spread that Mcdonalds actually changed some of their signage to it
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

What is your point?

Why?

For some people.

Not all.

OR..

Some != "epidemic"

I think Maccas is the Australian slang for McDonalds but I could be wrong. It's what I've gleaned from discussions on these boards over the years.

Also there are good examples posted on the forums of people who temporarily engage in a primarily or exclusively "junk food diet" with no adverse effects for weight or health markers, in fact most continued to see improvements in whatever goal they were striving for.

Interesting. What is the reasoning behind the junk food only diet? I realize you are talking about others and may not know, just curious.
This discussion has been closed.