WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Allie, The photos you are posting paint such a lovely picture. Carmine looks great, and even happy! And Miles is stinking' cute.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Gratitude
    1 What is something that makes you laugh? Robin Williams movies.

2 Something about the current season you’re grateful for: Very grateful for the cool fall weather and the lovely rains.

3 What about your body do you love/are you grateful for? I am grateful for my hair. It's a pretty color and has body/wave. I never have to fuss with it.

4 Who is someone in your life that you’re grateful for? I am incredibly grateful for the assistant marketing manager Stephanie at our retirement community, who is skillfully navigating us through the portal into our retirement community. Among other things, she tactfully negotiated to return the larger storage space that originally came with our apartment (it had been commandeered, lol), assigned us a prime parking space near the elevator in the parking garage, gave us a grace period before we have to start daily "check ins", took charge of a delivery of large awkward boxes in our absence, delivering them into our apartment with care, spontaneously recruited us to join into a trivia game that was already underway, and numerous other little thoughtful gestures. Plus she is super responsive to emails.

5 What is a book that changed your life? To Kill a Mockingbird

6 Think about something you’re good at: I'm good at packing a box with random items (like a puzzle).

7 What is a lesson you’re grateful you learned? I am still learning this lesson. Do not talk at/overwhelm my younger brother with too much information or too many questions. He is vulnerable and becomes anxious and ultimately angry - because he feels inadequate, which makes him resentful.

8 A basic need that has been met: Basic needs: food, water, clothing, sleep, and shelter. All have been met with the possible exception of adequate sleep.

9 What are you most grateful for in the city/town where you live? Oh my gosh, there are so many great things about this neck of the woods. However, picking just one: I have a terrific network of friends and access to limitless resources in and around Richmond, VA where I live. So I would have to say "the people who live here".

10 What rejection in your life are you most grateful for? I am grateful for being rejected by my friend Liz in graduate school. We started out by ride-sharing to school and quickly became fast friends. Liz rejected my friendship when I betrayed a confidence involving another classmate Susan. I said something to Susan that tipped her off that Liz had revealed to me something personal about Susan that she had told Liz in confidence. Susan felt betrayed by Liz, and Liz felt betrayed by me. It was a life's lesson that I should have learned at a much younger age, but I learned it well and painfully this time, and paid dearly for it by losing Liz as a friend. It was excruciating. I apologized, but the damage had been done.

11 Something you use every day: I use my hot water kettle every day and I am consciously grateful for it every time I use it. I think, what a great little hot water kettle this is! every day, lol

12 Something you don’t need anymore.: I no longer need my beloved John Deere lawn tractor. Time to dispose of it.

13 Refuge – space you love in your home: In my new home (apartment), I love my very own room. It has things I love in it and is a calm oasis.

14 Item of clothing: I have a navy blue with white polka dots dress I love. Sometimes I wear red Danskins with it. And a string of fake pearls.

15 Taste: Comice pears with brie and Riesling

16 Touch: Casper the Cat's dense white fur (just a memory now)
    17 Smell: Lily of the Valley

18 Sound: Snoring doggies
    19 Sight:

20 Texture:

21 Color:

22 A song that makes you happy:

23 Type of weather you love:

24 Professional who helps you:

25 Something you take for granted:

26 A TV show that you look forward to watching:

27 A movie you watch over and over:

28 An opportunity you’re grateful you had:

29 A place you love to visit:

30 A tool you find incredibly useful:

31 A daily habit you’re happy you’ve cultivated:
    [/spoiler]
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    💕
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,815 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    If you're interested in the Action for Happiness Calendar ...
    Do Good December
    This month, we're encouraging you to carry out small acts of kindness.

Or we could post something we're thankful for, or happy about, related to the holiday season.

December 1 - I love the Christmas music. :) Come December 1, that's almost all I play. Christmas music or classical music (when I have to think at work or when we're in the car).

December 2 - Christmas decorations! We're lagging behind a bit because I usually like to decorate on December 1. But we got the decorations upstairs on Dec 2. Today I'll rearrange furniture and make a start.

December 3 - Summer. My favourite season. And we are finally having a few days of decent weather after a very wild and woolly spring. That's not saying the good weather will last (thanks La Nina) but there should be more of it.

December 4 - Memories. So many of the Christmas songs and traditions remind me of my parents and grandparents and happy Christmases with them.

December 5 - Christmas Displays. I like how many of the shops have Christmas Displays, and some are quite detailed and intricate.

December 6 - Greetings. People smiling and wishing each other Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

December 7 - Shortbread. So much delicious shortbread!

December 8 - Family. Christmas seems to bring us together a bit more.

December 8 - Trees. All over the world, millions of people are putting up trees in their houses and work places and decorating them. :)

December 9 - Sparkly Things. I love how everything becomes sparkly at this time of year.

December 10 - Yummy Things. Mince tarts and cookies. Fudge. Special Chocolates. All sorts of nibbles that only come out at this time of year.

December 11 - Colours. Reds and greens and a few other combinations out everywhere.

December 12 - Christmas Stories. Twas the Night Before Christmas. A Christmas Carol. Jesus Birth.

December 13 - Wrapping things up, and I don't just mean presents.

December 14 - The Christmas songs i know by heart. I sang them to myself during my surgery to help keep me calm and focusing on something else.

December 15 - Rest. Except for one Christmas, I think I have had a holiday time over every other Christmas. Today I'm on enforced rest.

December 16 - Comfort. Christmas is usually a comfortable time of year for me. In Canada it was about going out in the cold to shop or ski and then coming home and curling up in warm, cozy clothes. Here it's about spending time in the warm sunshine, at the beach, in the garden or right now, looking at the lovely outside from inside.

December 17 - Joy. Christmas has usually been a joyful time for me ... probably mainly to do with being able to take a break.

December 18 - Pretty. It's such a pretty time of year.

:heart:

Just saw your post, Barbara ...

:heart:
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Aha, finally found a December daily gratitude calendar.
    https://www.spacewiseorganizing.com/december-gratitude-challenge/
    “This time of year, there’s a lot of pressure to think about what we want instead of what we have. Every day for the month of December, celebrate what you’re grateful for corresponding to the theme of the day. Snap a photo or update your status on IG or FB with #spaceforgratitude”
    1sa7taue9pwm.png

1 What is something that makes you laugh? Rhody! We're so very glad we got our little COVID Cat!

2 Something about the current season you’re grateful for. Rest. There will be a lot of rest over Christmas.

3 What about your body do you love/are you grateful for? I like my nose and want to keep it. But my official answer will be legs - for transport (walking) and recreation (cycling).

4 Who is someone in your life that you’re grateful for? I've said husband and parents last month, and that's true, but this month I'll say ... my manager. She has been supportive and encouraging regarding my input into my job.

5 What is a book that changed your life? The Bible. :) With the Christmas season in mind, I'm reading the gospel of Luke now.

6 Think about something you’re good at. I think I'm good at planning and organisation.

7 What is a lesson you’re grateful you learned? To speak up. To say my piece.

When I was young, up till about 17-ish, I was quiet and shy. Then I went through a bolder phase from about 17 into my early 20s. Then the quiet shyness resumed for the most part until my husband's accident. And then the bold me reappeared!

Where I once guessed what people might be thinking and thought my answers, now I'm vocal and even told I'm quite blunt. :smiley:

8 A basic need that has been met. Shelter. I'm very thankful for our particular shelter.

9 What are you most grateful for in the city/town where you live? The proximity to both mountains and beaches. :)

10 What rejection in your life are you most grateful for? Oh that's an interesting question. Either there haven't been many or I don't remember them but I'm drawing a blank. Although ... about 18 months or so ago, I didn't get a job I was going for and thought I wanted. I think I prefer the one I have now. I think it is providing me with more opportunities for experience and learning.

11 Something you use every day. A coffee cup to hold my morning coffee. :)

12 Something you don’t need anymore. What don't I need anymore? Perhaps some of the time consuming traditions like writing the Christmas letter, doing Christmas cards, heaps of baking ...

And outside of Christmas, I'm making choices that work for me. Picking and choosing what I want to do ... and don't want to do. I'm grateful I can make a few more of those choices.

13 Refuge – space you love in your home - my chair. I bought a wing chair about a year or so ago and it's my spot.

14 Item of clothing - rain jacket. Because it appears that it isn't going to stop raining! Also comfy pjs. :)

15 Taste - I am grateful that I still have a sense of taste. That was one thing my husband lost with his brain injury.

16 Touch - I'm glad for my smooth, comfortable bed where I've been spending a lot of time.

17 Smell - Love the smell of our roses.

18 Sound - Thoroughly enjoying the sound of the Christmas music I play all day long. :)
    19 Sight
    20 Texture
    21 Color
    22 A song that makes you happy.
    23 Type of weather you love.
    24 Professional who helps you.
    25 Something you take for granted.
    26 A TV show that you look forward to watching.
    27 A movie you watch over and over.
    28 An opportunity you’re grateful you had.
    29 A place you love to visit.
    30 A tool you find incredibly useful.
    31 A daily habit you’re happy you’ve cultivated.

Machka in Oz

g4r271y7201l.png

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Debbie - Thinking of you as you recover! <3

Machka - Sounds as if yours is coming along now. Best wishes. :flowerforyou:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,064 Member
    Options
    Energy is still low this morning, and sinuses are clogged with crud, but I am on the mend.

Planning to do a test when I get up. Yesterday’s test was still positive. *sigh*

(((Flea))) It’s good you were with her when she passed. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Rita: Hope you’re not ‘all shook up’.

Enjoyed the Strictly Come Dancing final.
    I probably should have had an early night after that, but I sat up and watched the BBC Cliff Richard night instead.

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri

• cityjaneLondon
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Went for my 5k run this morning. It was the first one since the cold snap started, because I was afraid of slipping on the frosty ground. Now it's above freezing. :)
    However, still bracing! The wind was blowing against me, so I did a turnaround and ran back past the Lagoon. Then I detoured down the main road and enjoyed passing all the period houses, most from the 20s/30s. I stopped to take a photo. You can imagine Poirot there! Notice the strained glass above the door and the dragon on the roof! The far house has an amazing, long, sweeping roof. I must say I hate it when people 'do up' the houses and don't respect the original architecture. These are perfect.
    sitcgyup22tg.jpg
    I ran back round by deli and bought sauerkraut for tonight's meal. I really appreciate the little chats I have with local shopkeepers. This guy is originally from Palestine. Very happy to chat. It's the main reason we were keen to live in this area-all the local little shops. <3

When I was out 'running ' I passed my son running in the opposite direction! Totally unexpected! He is going to bring over a few moving boxes today. 📦

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    :)<3:) Happy Sunday!

Carol in GA
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Hugs to you, Lisa. Make the most of your time together. <3

My son came round just before lunch with his boxes. Huge ones! The lighter ones he stowed in the garage loft ( to be sorted out later :# ) and the heavy ones went by the garage door. Mostly toys and recipe books. He does seem to have a lot, even though he says he has got rid of loads! Bea and Edie came with him as they all were on their way to Fatto a Mano. They were not dressed for the cold and wet. :o Bea was concerned about where her 'cuddlies' were being stashed. A lot are going to the charity shop.

Then after a delicious lunch of DimSum, DH decided the time had come to marzipan the Christmas cake. I found the recipe and couldn't resist supervising, even though it's meant to be his thing. Good job I did, as the getting the marzipan onto the cake was a disaster! Fortunately, I didn't panic as I knew you could patch it, but poor DH was quite worried. It all got done in the end and now will dry out for a couple of days before the royal icing goes on.

World Cup final this afternoon. I may use some of the time to watch TV, while wrapping presents. DH will be in his study.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Ive been flipping and flopping sleeping lately will have to figure that all out..
    Have a drs appt tomorrow afternoon with the GP
    So glad you are enjoying the photos im sharing..
    Have laundry i have to get into the dryer..and tonight we go do the Gingerbread houses..
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

I just ran across this - several of you often mention gratitude, I thought this was neat <3

Melody Beattie: “Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend.”

Heather - what a nice surprise running into your son on your morning run! Really gives a small-town feeling. I never get tired of hearing about all the cool shops you have nearby.

Lisa - glad the kids and grands arrived safely and are having fun on the homestead.

Jeannie - beautiful little tree and scene.

Rebecca - we looked into the body donation thing but it got sidelined by other tasks. When Lee passes, does the military take care of all his final arrangements?

Weather looks good - a little rain, 35 degrees, so will zip into town shortly. No slip-sliding. Not sure about the rest of the week, forecast changes every couple hours.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    God bless you, sweet thing, Flea. I'm so glad you were with her and NOW have somewhere wonderful to escape to and be with family.

POUND CAKE!!! Carol... there's a reason I don't make pound cake! OMG, I could sit and eat the whole thing and oh, the pounds!

It's very much like divinity, but has mint chocolate chips inside! I like it so much better. We make ours with green, then red food coloring, then leave some white. So festive.

18 Sound: wow... sound, my grandkids coming through the door.
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN