WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,479 Member
    Options
    Annie - Good to see you, dear heart, sorry things are piling up on your mind and heart, I know it's hard. Gentle hugs, held extra long. Hope your sister can get there soon and you can get a break. Heather had some great suggestions for you.

Heather - I'm more on your side than your husband's. I'm always amazed by folks like John and KJ who have endless patience with children. I simply don't. Corey has it too, at much more of an extent than I do. Post a picture of your minimalist Christmas baubles with them lit up! Sounds lovely and serene, as your decorations usually are. How is your friend's granddaughter? Hope you and your son have shaken the remainder of the virus.

Tracey - It's good to see you. Glad you trusted your instincts on the presentation. Knowing when it's not quite right is a gift, but can be exhausting! Proud of that for you.

Machka - And that's why you got your job, because you're so good at what you do! Hope your database is a raging success and well rewarded.

Rebecca - So pleased about your middle son's graduation, and love knowing that your heart lifts every time your youngest (and oldest) call. In the case of the younger, it is partially a benefit of the long, painful separation, but it was an awful long time wandering in the wilderness before finding the promise of the new connection.

Barbara AHMOD - So pleased your oven is fixed, and in time for Christmas!

Luannelizabeth -
    Logging food holds many, many benefits beyond just totting up your calories. It is always an eye-opener for me how much I've been lying to myself about my intake, as it's really easy to underestimate calories. Finding the truth is always a shock. I always log for a week without trying to change my eating habits, but find that simply knowing I have to write it down will prevent me from eating a lot of different things. Logging makes you own your food intake, stop lying to yourself, understand how much your outgo (exercise) affects your calorie intake, and see how to balance your protein/carbs/fat intake in healthier ways, before you ever start trying to restrict your calories. The keys are absolute honesty, measuring every bite and crumb, and precision--a kitchen scale is a cheap way to keep yourself honest.

Rosemarie - As others have said, the fatigue could be driven by grief, or covid, or the early darkness of winter. Just don't beat up on yourself or expect more of yourself than you can give right now. It really is OK to sit down, or nap. Think of it as medicine for what ails you.

Lanette - I'm so sorry about those young men. It's terrible anytime, but it does seem worse at this time of year. Glad you had a lovely sunny day - we're supposed to have a few in a row, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Pip - The fingernails are spiffy, and so is the outside shelf!

Allie - Cats always know! They would walk right past me to get to my ex-husband, who was terribly allergic, as well.

On scams - Be very careful of buying gift cards, particularly at Walmart and Target, for gifts for Christmas. Scammers have figured out how to drain the cards online by snapping a picture of the barcodes in the store, or to spend them ahead of time, while leaving the card intact and back on the display. The scammers are getting ahead of the security designs, and it's getting worse and not better.

More later, my chickens,
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Mondays definitely have new meaning, as that is the day he calls!😁💖. Yes I am very proud of middle! A bit annoyed that they had Granddaughter do a video saying in February its easier if we come down, (though she mentions she has never visited grandma and grandpas house). It seemed coached. If we come down, its a long drive for Lee, we would have to rent a car, and stay at hotel. If they came up they are two able drivers, they can stay here, etc. I have a little over a month to sway them.💖😁
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Rebecca - What great commitment your middle son has. It is sooo hard doing that with a young family. Many congratulations! :)

Lisa - Echoes of the 60s. I love them. :p

Had my Zoom with my friends. The granddaughter is doing well, was only in hospital one night. A regime of pricking and injections for the moment, but eventually there will be a pump etc. Teacher, grandparents, have to be taught how to give injections and monitor. She was just going off swimming and was in great spirits. Lovely girl.
    A heron has eaten all B's fish, and G has bedbugs, brought back from a holiday in Cornwall. :# She is waiting for an extermination company to come, meanwhile she is covered in bites. Utterly miserable.

I had to cut up the squash myself, because John had only just finished the bread sauce. No problem. Delicious dinner. We remembered eating chorizo in red wine in Madrid, and that prompted a look back at the old photos. I can't believe it was 2009 - my 60th! I loved the city, but I had a terribly bad back and was necking painkillers.

Love to all. And remember, it's OK to say NO.
    Heather UK xxxxxxxx

He's been looking so tired lately, so hopefully he can do some self care and relax a bit.💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Barbara, YAY for a working stove!!
    Rebecca, congrats to your middle son for finishing his degree! And congrats to your younger son for holding to his commitment to call you regularly!

Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,362 Member
    Options
    Did the 20-40-60 workout then took a water class. Afterwards, stopped at Big Lots (didn’t get anything) then to Aldi. Then made yogurt in for the IP, had breakfast

Put the cut lawn and leaf bag on my windshield last night and it worked wonderfully. Thank you, thank you, thank you Rita. Tomorrow when I go to work I’m going to take one of their garbage bags. See, the lawn and leaf bag covered most of the windshield but there was still frost on the upper 2 or 3 inches. Which is fine, I really don’t look out there.

Annie – I do hope your sister gets there soon

pip – HUG extra hard’

Lisa – I just bought Denise and Pete a gift card at WalMart and was going to get one for our mailman the next time I went. Not sure where to get one one. Nice pants. You are so creative

Going to see if Vince needs me to do anything. If not, I’ll go for a walk down to the dollar store and then maybe Food Lion. They have crab cakes on sale, I want to try them. If Vince will eat them and they aren’t too “bready” (there are stuffed clams at Aldi that are very “bready” Maybe I’ll get some for Christmas Eve.

Michele NC
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Lisa - Just for you. It really is the tiniest little gesture towards a Yuletide spirit, but I've always loved my Indian baubles, and I've always wanted the thin silver string lights.
    First one daytime to show the baubles.
    qbccenjv49kk.jpg
    And now nighttime. John actually said it looked nice at night. :p
    wxk9m8aaidai.jpg
    Love Heather UK xxxxxx

How stunning!
    Its very dramatic, yet understated, and classy!💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,730 Member
    Options
    Heather- it looks great...
    Ive been in bed all day
    Sneezing my fool head off. Ugh
    Im hoping its better tomorrow, don't like being laid up..
    Ive decided im only giving Miles one thing for Christmas, his birthday is the 7th of January and I'll save the rest for then and he is having outpatient surgery on the 16th might save some for then too
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,420 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Evie - Take care of yourself! There is a long-term, hacking, viral cough thing going around that isn't covid: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/persistent-cough-not-covid_l_656f1f74e4b0f3e5f44aca8f

Heather - Ditto what Rebecca said, very elegant and understated, with the lights going up giving that hint of Christmas tree, without a tree... beautiful eye for the unexpected.

Home from acupuncture, it has been a good morning... time to get the laundry folded that I didn't get to before. Corey is bringing home an electric stapler which should work for putting the insulation up, so I'm on pause for a little bit there.

Lisa in AR
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,420 Member
    Options
    I think I found my Christmas Tree:

dofcywm6zuvn.png

Lanette B)

Holy lanky little Leghorns, Lanette, I totally missed this! OK, that's just perfect.
    mk67qjy0st6i.gif

🐣
    Love ya!
    Lisa
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,580 Member
    Options
    Walk w/family- 2hrs 6minn44sec, 25elev, 2.89ap, 89ahr, 103mhr, 6.22mi= 588c
    Strava app= 762c
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,979 Member
    Options
    Time for a break- so far today, I have baked two batches of oatmeal raisin cookie bars(one with nuts, one without, cho. chip cookies, sugar cookies all from scratch, made a batch of peanut clusters, two batches of cracker toffee(one with milk cho. chips and almonds, the other with a swirl of white cho/espresso cho. chips and a batch of peanut butter fudge.
    Only one batch of fudge to do and I will do that tonight- Pina Colada. That one can wait because it doesn't get shipped to anyone-packages going in the mail tomorrow.
    Sitting down for a break then need to do dishes
    I will get the boxes packed up and the baskets for friends/neighbors done before bed.
    Was fun making it but will be glad when it is all out of my kitchen

Class tonight- will grab an energy drink before going. Already tired. Barely made it through Monday class

Debbie
    Napa Valley Ca