Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• bkhamill
    bkhamill Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    Not to be a downer bit wanted to let you all know since you have been on this journey with me that To Boldly Go (yes AOJ for Star Trek) "Oberon" passed away this morning. He was 21 and I had him for 16 years. He was my best friend and the love of my life. May he rest in peace. ♡

So sorry, I know when I lost my horse Sandy at (my) age 16 I was very upset. I never got another. Still miss her!
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    Sch614 wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    I have a little over 1000 calories left for the day and I'm afraid that won't be enough for dinner plus any road snacks later. Since we're traveling, I really have no idea what's for dinner. And I know I could make healthyish choices anywhere, but, come on, we all know I'm not going to do that nonsense. AND I'm already planning on eating popcorn in the hotel tonight because I can share the bag with my daughter since she got her braces off yesterday.

Also, I have ZERO motivation to do any actual work-work today. I'd rather be on here. Although, I did venture in the lemon water thread and those people are MEAN. I like it here. I feel safe.

Why is there even a "lemon water thread" ??

Because people are dumb.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the scars on my ankle and shoulder at all. Actually, I'm kinda bummed at how much the shoulder scar has faded.

Scars ARE kind of badass!

I say, rock those scars! You earned them! I know I did - I have a scar from my sternum to my pubic bone thanks to a car accident my junior year of high school. I always wear a bikini when we go to the pool or vacation or whatever. If other people don't like it they don't have to look at it. FWIW, after all these year I've never received a negative comment. Glances at it, sure. It's hard to NOT notice when it is uncovered. Doesn't bother me a bit. I survived and recovered, so I consider my scar my tattoo.
  • margfish
    margfish Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I would have but my baking skills are lacking and the crust is kinda disintegrating when you lift it up, so it's not going to work out, lol. Not a huge deal I guess, some pieces will have more or less of each ingredients so it's going to be an approximation anyway. It is tasty though...

Ah, well. It will all even out in the end. :)

Lois_1989 wrote: »
    4. I'm almost 25 and I still haven't figured out what I want to do with my life. I studied Journalism at University but it wasn't really for me. I'm so jealous of people who have ambition and know what they want to be from a young age.

I've got 8 years on you and still haven't figured it out. Maybe one day? :)

• tulips_and_tea
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    I don't mind the scars on my ankle and shoulder at all. Actually, I'm kinda bummed at how much the shoulder scar has faded.

Scars ARE kind of badass!
    Agreed - scars are cool and interesting. I have to restrain myself from asking people about their scars because I know it's rude.

Scars are tattoos with better stories. We saw that tshirt a couple of weeks ago.

I have said this for years as well!
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »

I'll add my amazement to that one. And the usual attack crew showed up.
    I do wonder how rare the actual special snowflake is? I mean genuine metabolic differences which make it super hard to either gain or lose weight when on a diet that would cause another body with the same stats to behave 'typically'. I know we always see 'We are all different' on the threads a lot, but actually we're pretty similar on the whole. Slight variations are expected, but I wonder how many people are way out of the realm of 'normal' without medical reasons.

You can start with trying to figure out how many people are IR, but the issue there is a lot of people are for years without being diagnosed, because it takes a lot of jumping through hoops and a doctor knowledgeable enough to do the right tests. Most people who are can eat more calories on low carb than calories with carbs, and lose more weight - still at a deficit, but a much smaller one to make the same progress.

On top of that there are conditions like lipedema, I think it's 1 in 10 women have it, might be higher, but it's abnormal fat deposits in your lower body, and no diet will get rid of them, no matter what the resident know-it-alls out there think. You can be anorexic and eat 300 calories a day, and still have the deposits in your legs, a size 00 on top and a size 18 on the bottom. The only way to get rid of it is through a specific kind of water assisted liposuction, and that only reduces what's already there, won't prevent new deposits from building after. Otherwise, best anyone can do is try to control it, which is usually the same therapies @ythannah and I have to use.

Ours is lymphedema, the hereditary version, which is 1 in 100k people, while other people have the much more common secondary, which usually happens as a side effect from surgery or cancer treatment. If it's caught early, it can be controlled somewhat, but left undiagnosed and unattended, it can get really bad. Again, I can become anorexic and lose the majority of my body fat, but it doesn't get rid of the accumulated fluid, that requires a whole other protocol of medical treatments that may or may not help.

There are other conditions with their own quirks that change the CO portion so drastically, the usual whining about it's CICO get over it just sounds clueless. Then factor in that a site like this will have a higher proportion of people with these kinds of medical issues, because people who don't have them are less likely to need a weight loss site to begin with.

TL;DR: Probably a hell of a lot more than the usual suspects care to acknowledge.
    That's very interesting - especially the Wiki about Lipedema because the stage 1 woman looks a lot like me :/
    But what I was really referring to was how far the range of 'normal' goes - i.e. people with no medical conditions whose bodies don't behave like everyone elses. Is IR insulin resistant? I'm afraid I don't even really know what that means (off to Google...)

Right, but what I was getting at is first you have to weed out all the people who aren't normal but don't know they're not normal. That question out there about thick legs is a good example. Based on how she phrased her question, specifically fat on her legs, and the fact that lipedema is actually quite common, I'm tempted to ask if she has lipedema ankles. And, I'll bet if I did, the usual suspects would immediately cry foul. It damages their sense of superiority when you can show them an actual medical reason they can be wrong.

IR is insulin resistance, and it seems to be the most common thing that people don't realize they have until they take the initiative to ask the doctor instead of the doctor figuring it out for them.

Maybe you can PM her? Or email? If you can help someone it would be worth it to avoid the usual arguers on those threads. I didn't know about this condition at all until this thread, so your knowledge may be really helpful to someone.
  • noaddedsugarx
    noaddedsugarx Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have a scar on my leg off when I got hit by a lorry when I was 10 years old. Don't cross the road infront of buses folks!

I also have quite a visible scar on my foot. Someone in a club mistakenly stood on my foot and they were wearing stilettos. It literally pierced the skin and left a hole in my foot. I was bleeding everywhere and had to get it stitched up. I don't have much luck...
  • shamos11
    shamos11 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This weekend I've had a sore scratchy throat. So yesterday I was going to the pharmacy to get lozenges or something and pulled into Dairy Queen for a large banana milkshake. I planned to put it in the freezer and have it in small doses. It was gone before I hit my driveway. Sigh!!! It was good.
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    Not to be a downer bit wanted to let you all know since you have been on this journey with me that To Boldly Go (yes AOJ for Star Trek) "Oberon" passed away this morning. He was 21 and I had him for 16 years. He was my best friend and the love of my life. May he rest in peace. ♡

I'm so sorry to hear about your baby boy. Hugs.

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    OMG you people, seriously, I have 1 Friday off and you guys fill up 10 pages (so far)! I keep looking at the date of the posts and thinking "nope, still Friday" I'm up to page 603 and I still have 11 pages to go! So I'm doing a half way confession and then I will continue.

I had Friday off work to go to the burial of the last half of my SO's nan. I say last half, because the poor woman's ashes was split in half, 1 half is buried with her husband and the other half has been split into THREE for each of her children and then they are spreading her in all the places they think she would like to be. I'm sorry but I personally would hate this to happen to my ashes. I can't help but think "what if I need those bits later?" you don't know what happens after, you might need the other half. So yea, then we went to the pub and I had a very healthy superfood pasta salad followed by a not so healthy carrot cake and many, many beers. And then that theme carried on throughout the weekend. BUT I did a lot of walking so on balance I don't think it was toooo bad.

SO as a bonny girl from Great Britain, I am very upset about the lack of different flavour Starbucks Frapps going on. I feel I'm missing out greatly.
    I'm joining the line to see Terry Pratchett and Jack the Ripper in the afterlife.
    I can't eat raw onion, the flavour stays in my mouth for the rest of the day.
    I don't know what a
    peanut buster parfait
    or a
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    brownie chocolate chip cookie dough blizzard
    is but I want BOTH
    @rungirl1973 - that dress looks AMAZING on you, I definitely think you should wear it. Often.
    @quiksylver296 - I hope your run went well! (I'm sure I will find out when I continue reading :smile: )
    And I've completely lost track of all the other things I wanted to reply to.

So what does a bonny girl mean? :) By the way a brownie chocolate chip cookie dough blizzard is cookie dough with ice cream and brownie pieces! YUM!
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    I'm SO BORED today. I want to be outside in the garden but it's raining. My husband is away for work for another 8 days. My kids are all out doing their things. I feel like I should start a project but don't know what to do. I've already done my walking for the day. Thought about yoga but the studio doesn't have any more classes today. I feel like all my energy is going into my weightloss 'journey' lately (sorry, not keen on that expression) and I'm worried that I might fall off the wagon.

What do you do when you have a major case of 'BLARGHs'?

Take a nap.

• tulips_and_tea
    Options
    I've finally caught up. It's only taken me forever!

Some confessions -
    1. On the subject of shoplifting, I was caught doing it with a friend when I was 11. We only used to steal little things like lipglosses etc. One day we got brave and filled a carrier bag up with face masks, foot scrubs and chocolate and got caught by an undercover security guard. I never dared steal anything again after that! I also ran away from a restaurant without paying with the same friend when I was that age.

2. I'm also a member of the alcoholic parent club. My mam was a massive drinker when I was younger and it came before everything else. She used to lie in bed and sleep all day, get up at about 8pm and stay up all through the night. Me and my younger sister basically had to fend for ourselves. We went into foster care when I was 14.

3. Growing up my Grandma was a huge maternal figure in my life and the person I would turn to for anything. She was diagnosed with Dementia around 4 and a half years ago and is in quite the later stages now. I'm caring for her full time. I get a break over the weekends and for 2 hours in the morning on the week days (which is when I usually go to the gym!) I can't bare the thought of her going into a home but at the same time I am finding the role of full time carer both physically and mentally draining at times. She needs help with getting washed, dressed, toileting, is very restless through the night and can't be left alone under any circumstances because of safety reasons meaning it's hard for me to make plans as there always has to be someone here to watch her. I love my Grandma more than anyone in the world and she was always there for me growing up so I want to be there for her now. I feel guilty sometimes when I get frustrated.

4. I'm almost 25 and I still haven't figured out what I want to do with my life. I studied Journalism at University but it wasn't really for me. I'm so jealous of people who have ambition and know what they want to be from a young age.

Your feelings are very common. You are so young to be a full-time caregiver. Bless you, but please remember that you cannot do it all yourself! Please get some help if you can and also reach out to support groups for other caregivers. Your love for your Grandma is apparent and will be richly rewarded, but try not to burn yourself out in the meantime.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Confession: My SO pissed me off to tears on Mother's Day. He got highly intoxicated the night before. I don't think I've ever seen him that drunk. He puked ALL night. No sleep for me. Then he slept in - not me, the MOTHER, on MOTHER'S DAY!!! Then he wouldn't go with us to our trip to Craters of the Moon cuz he was "sick" (hungover). I think he owes me another Mother's Day.

Hubby bought me a camp trailer this weekend. He is forgiven. LOL

Like your new profile picture! Is that from the run this past weekend?
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options

I personally would consider yourself lucky you don't know what you want to be, because everything becomes a possibility. From about 15 I was told by various teachers I would be a good Interior Designer, I ended up doing Interior Design at Uni and came out with a 2:1. My teacher said it should have been a 1st but I ran out of time by about a week. I fell in love with Interior Design and Architecture. I spent just short of a year applying for jobs. I sent over 250 CV's with a CD of my work (Yes I bought 250 CDs!) and I didn't get one sniff, nothing, not even an interview. I went back to uni to speak to my teacher about it and she said unfortunately you have to have connections to get into the industry. Dream over. I was devastated. Now I'm a miserable administrator and I gained 3 stone through eating to make myself feel better! It has taken me 2 years since I left uni and I think I have just got over it. But I now consider going to university the biggest mistake I ever made. Above smoking. Above gaining 3 stone in weight. Above everything.
    You don't need to know what you want to be in life, be happy with who you are right now. :smile:

I'm so sorry that was the experience for you! I hope this doesn't come off as "trite", but when things like this happen I believe it was meant to be. We don't know why right now, but being an interior designer, or maybe just going about it via this path wasn't right for you. You WILL find what is right for you. Your path will become clear. Keep an open mind, continue to work on your health and mental well-being and I'm sure you will find happiness and satisfaction.
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    So we're on page 600, and that is a lot of conversation, all of which has been deep and meaningful, helpful and healing.

Here's a list of people that I'm going to find in the afterlife and what question I'm going to ask them.

Bruce Lee - Teach me how to be like water?
    Sir Terry Pratchet - Tell me more about Ank Morpork?
    Douglas Adams - Will you hold my towel?

Edit: I just responded to a work email to someone getting snippy with me with "Cool Story Bro, except you need to do this like I said in my original request" hahahahaha

Awesome!

Afterlife questions - I want to know the true story about dinosaurs. I really want to ask my grandpa about being Jack Dempsey's sparring partner (just learned that a couple weeks ago. G'pa never said a word.) I want to know who Jack the Ripper really was. There's more, I've thought on this topic a lot. Of course, now I can't remember any.

They covered this on an episode of Grimm recently.

I love that show, but wasn't the greatest fan of the Jack the Ripper bit TBO. Also Juliette = WTF?

Yeah, I thought is was kind of weird and a little unnecessary. I love me some Sean Renard though. Yum! ;)

• tulips_and_tea
    Options
    bkhamill wrote: »
    I'm a fan of the tanktinis I've seen at Target. Been meaning to pick up some swimwear myself

I wish more stores had retro looking one pieces like Marilyn Monroe & Jayne Mansfield wore or high waisted bikinis.

I found a super cute high waist bikini at Walmart of all places, it was the ONLY one they had left and it fit me perfectly! I can now go on my beach vacation in two weeks! YAY!

Awesome! Glad you found something you like - enjoy that vacation!
  • noaddedsugarx
    noaddedsugarx Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Your feelings are very common. You are so young to be a full-time caregiver. Bless you, but please remember that you cannot do it all yourself! Please get some help if you can and also reach out to support groups for other caregivers. Your love for your Grandma is apparent and will be richly rewarded, but try not to burn yourself out in the meantime.

I promise if it all gets too much I will seek extra help! I get up to 6 weeks respite a year which has been helpful. I've had two week long breaks recently. It is hard trying to balance my caring responsibilities with having a social life and my relationship but it seems to be working okay for the moment. I have no doubt that it will only get harder though.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I only logged about 800 calories yesterday (on purpose, because my doctor made me, I now hate him) and all of it was juice and broth. MFP didn't warn me or anything, it was just like "in 5 weeks you will have lost 25 lbs!" For a second, I felt like the computer was judging me - like "Good job! You should probably eat this way every Sunday, fatty!" I don't care what my computer thinks though. Screw him.

That must have been miserable, but your telling of the story made me laugh! Hope everything comes out ok!

Classic!
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    As I mentioned earlier, I took Friday off so was way behind. I am almost caught up and have replied to a couple comments so here are a couple observations from the weekend.

Starbucks – Iced Venti Non-Fat Latte with an extra shot of espresso, but their coffee is too expensive. I usually only have about five a year.

I want my stomach to be flat enough to wear dresses. I’ve always been a bit of a tomboy and never been a big fan of dresses. South Carolina is very hot in the summers and feel like I would be less hot if I could wear a dress versus pants to work.

We tried potty training the two year old this weekend because we really felt like she was ready. Epic fail.

I want to sign up for a 5K, but none of my locals friends are really into that sort of thing. Feel like if I had someone to run with on the weekends, it would be much easier to do.

Love Chipotle and hate cilantro but don’t mind the cilantro in their rice.

I missed some interesting arguments. Secretly glad that someone left…not a secret anymore.

@m1xm0d3 – Happy Birthday!

I confess I spend WAY too much money at Starbucks. I have gold status until September of 2016. I have an addiction to "rewards" and will spend more money than I should on something just to get something "free".

• tulips_and_tea
    Options
    Just checking in.

Got accused of "checking out" at my current job, even though I was working harder and longer than everyone else that has the same director as me. Must be nice to leave early on a friday afternoon, I might be coming down with a flu that's going to really take a hold friday and tuesday.

Sounds like a good plan to me! I'm still surprised at the level of unprofessional-ism there (not a good word, I know). Treating someone poorly because they are taking another job? What is this, high school? Sorry and glad you'll be out of there soon.