Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    @pearso21123 those are all great steps toward your daughter being healthy and happy! I've struggled and dealt with depression since I was around 13 and that's when I first started seeing a therapist. I've found the better I eat, the more sleep I get, the more exercise I do, and the more I get out and do things I feel so much better! I'll keep you and your daughter in my thoughts!

Thank you. I wasn't sure if I should start with her doctor or with finding a therapist, but it said online to start with a physical and go from there. I don't think there are any underlying issues, but I guess it's best to rule it out before going any further.

We started with her our daughters doctor, and they gave us a list of therapists who specialized in youths. She was great with all of us.

• CandiedCarrion
    CandiedCarrion Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    KatieLK14 wrote: »
    I brought a beautiful, nutritious dinner to work last night then promptly decided to order pizza with my coworker.

Oh, man. I went out to Cici's with my boyfriend the other day, and got this big, beautiful salad. Halfway through, I got up and ate 3 slices of pizza.. No regrets.
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    On Friday, my 13-year-old daughter told me that she's been depressed for over a year and wanted to go see a therapist. This was after a major meltdown over what should have been a minor incident. We'd noticed she's been withdrawn and has been spending a lot of time in her room, but thought it was just typical teenage moodiness. I'll be calling the dr. first thing tomorrow, but have also been doing some research and trying to find things to do on our end. This isn't something I've ever dealt with before. One of the things that was recommended was getting her out of her isolation, as well as exercise. I brought her with me to work today (I work at a university library). She's currently out collecting books (she loves to read) and hitting the Cyber Cafe. She seems very happy today. I also spoke to her about joining a gym together, at least for the summer, and she was very receptive to the idea. So, we'll be going to the YMCA tomorrow to check it out. I'm a little scared to join a gym, as I don't like working out in front of people. But, I'm willing to do it for her. She's excited that they might have a pool. I told her there's no way I'm wearing a bathing suit in public, but she's welcome to swim without me. Anyway, this isn't really a confession, but I needed to get this off my chest. Thanks for listening.
    Oh, sending positive vibes your way - it's so hard to see a child so young struggling with mental health issues. Sorry you're both dealing with this, but I commend you for doing practical real things that can help. Maybe also look at some vitamin supplements?

My daughter just finished her second year of university and is now taking a year off due to depression and anxiety. This has been a very hard year for her, and stressful and worrying for us. Now that she's home, our family doctor believe her problems may be in a big part due to anemia caused by very heavy periods, so she's tackling the anemia before looking at anti-depressants etc. Maybe it might be a good idea to ask for a blood test to rule out any physical causes also?
    Nice suggestion. I hope your daughter feels much better as soon as she's not anemic.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    On Friday, my 13-year-old daughter told me that she's been depressed for over a year and wanted to go see a therapist. This was after a major meltdown over what should have been a minor incident. We'd noticed she's been withdrawn and has been spending a lot of time in her room, but thought it was just typical teenage moodiness. I'll be calling the dr. first thing tomorrow, but have also been doing some research and trying to find things to do on our end. This isn't something I've ever dealt with before. One of the things that was recommended was getting her out of her isolation, as well as exercise. I brought her with me to work today (I work at a university library). She's currently out collecting books (she loves to read) and hitting the Cyber Cafe. She seems very happy today. I also spoke to her about joining a gym together, at least for the summer, and she was very receptive to the idea. So, we'll be going to the YMCA tomorrow to check it out. I'm a little scared to join a gym, as I don't like working out in front of people. But, I'm willing to do it for her. She's excited that they might have a pool. I told her there's no way I'm wearing a bathing suit in public, but she's welcome to swim without me. Anyway, this isn't really a confession, but I needed to get this off my chest. Thanks for listening.
    Oh, sending positive vibes your way - it's so hard to see a child so young struggling with mental health issues. Sorry you're both dealing with this, but I commend you for doing practical real things that can help. Maybe also look at some vitamin supplements?

My daughter just finished her second year of university and is now taking a year off due to depression and anxiety. This has been a very hard year for her, and stressful and worrying for us. Now that she's home, our family doctor believe her problems may be in a big part due to anemia caused by very heavy periods, so she's tackling the anemia before looking at anti-depressants etc. Maybe it might be a good idea to ask for a blood test to rule out any physical causes also?
    Nice suggestion. I hope your daughter feels much better as soon as she's not anemic.
    Thank you! It's not improving yet because she's had a constant period since starting one of the seasonal birth control pills - should mean a light period once every three months, instead it's been one loooong period for about 5 weeks. Hoping this settles down soon because she can't get a handle on the anemia all the time it continues. She's much better now she's home though - no school stress and no more homesickness with Mum fussing and looking after her. :)
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    I was struggling with depression during my teenage years as well, but I don't think my mom was able to handle it very well. The thing is, I didn't think I was depressed at all (now that I look back, it seems obvious), and I was placed into a hospital for a week to get therapy and to monitor me so I wouldn't harm myself. It was extremely hurtful, mostly because I thought I was just going in for a therapy session but I had been lied to. They rushed my mom out and basically locked me in the hospital. I screamed and cried, and some grumpy woman came in and demanded I take my clothes off so she could search me for ''weapons'' and stuff. It was embarrassing and felt like I was being put in jail. I remember smiling at one of the counselors and being told ''What's so funny??? Wipe that smirk off your face.'' Dude, I was just being nice.

Since then my mom has apologized many times, and I guess I can't really blame her behavior since she was genuinely worried about me. Still, that whole experience was just surreal.
  • pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options

Anemia is definitely not something I would have ever thought of as a culprit. My daughter started menstruating about a year ago, which coincides with when she says her depression started. Her migraines also became much worse around then. She does take vitamin supplements, though not super-regularly.

I read a little about anti-depressants, and they scare me. It says they can cause suicidal thoughts in teens with depression. How is that going to help? I'm not ruling them out, but they definitely aren't a first-resort measure.
  • pearso21123
    Options

Thank you! It's not improving yet because she's had a constant period since starting one of the seasonal birth control pills - should mean a light period once every three months, instead it's been one loooong period for about 5 weeks. Hoping this settles down soon because she can't get a handle on the anemia all the time it continues. She's much better now she's home though - no school stress and no more homesickness with Mum fussing and looking after her. :)

Wow. A five week period would be enough to knock anybody off-kilter. I hope she gets better soon.
  • pearso21123
    Options
    I was struggling with depression during my teenage years as well, but I don't think my mom was able to handle it very well. The thing is, I didn't think I was depressed at all (now that I look back, it seems obvious), and I was placed into a hospital for a week to get therapy and to monitor me so I wouldn't harm myself. It was extremely hurtful, mostly because I thought I was just going in for a therapy session but I had been lied to. They rushed my mom out and basically locked me in the hospital. I screamed and cried, and some grumpy woman came in and demanded I take my clothes off so she could search me for ''weapons'' and stuff. It was embarrassing and felt like I was being put in jail. I remember smiling at one of the counselors and being told ''What's so funny??? Wipe that smirk off your face.'' Dude, I was just being nice.

Since then my mom has apologized many times, and I guess I can't really blame her behavior since she was genuinely worried about me. Still, that whole experience was just surreal.

Jeez! Thanks for the warning. If I found out someone had strip-searched my daughter I would want to beat the crap out of them. And I'm not a violent person. Did your mom realize what was going to happen?
  • pearso21123
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    My confession is that when I first started reading the forums I was very confused that I kept seeing CICO all over the place. Cico (pronounced Tea co) is the name of our adopted cat. It took me about a week to learn what it actually means, and I felt like such an idiot.

It took me forever to know what NSV & Doms meant.

There are still sometimes that people post something that is slang or abbreviated & I have to look it up on Google.

I know what NSV is after asking what is Doms?

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

Huh. I was thinking something completely different, but couldn't figure out how it related to food or weight loss.

Yeah, that was the only thing I could think of too.....also, way earlier in the thread, someone was talking about cbt, also means something different to me, :open_mouth:

cognitive behavioral therapy...? What else does it mean? o:

I'll admit, I'll don't know that one, either.

I think I just got it. ... I'm not going to post it here for fear of being banned forever though LOL

I still hadn't gotten it when you posted this. I just googled it- and now wish I hadn't.
  • Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I ate 3/4 of my calories today at one meal. I ate until I literally felt ill and had to lay down. Didn't go over my goal for the day though.
  • FluffySandwich
    Options

Jeez! Thanks for the warning. If I found out someone had strip-searched my daughter I would want to beat the crap out of them. And I'm not a violent person. Did your mom realize what was going to happen?
    I don't think so. What happened is that I went to a doctor and the doctor noticed something was up, talked to me, and recommended a therapist. I went to the therapist who apparently told my mom I needed to be hospitalized, even though I spent about fifteen minutes with the woman and (in my opinion) didn't say anything so bad to the point where someone would recommend putting me in a hospital.

My mom cried after I told her of my experiences (it took a long time... I had a pretty bad relationship with her for a long while after and even moved out to live with my disabled father until I finished high school). She apologized and said she made a mistake, but was just scared and didn't know what to do. The good thing is I had a nice therapist after getting out :)
  • pearso21123
    Options

Also, I'm so sorry this happened to you. I have a standing policy not to lie to my kids. If a shot at the doctors is going to hurt, I tell them and give them tips on how to deal with it. They don't believe in Santa Clause or the Tooth Fairy. I remember when I found out that Santa Clause wasn't real. My main thought was that I couldn't believe our mom had lied to us, after all her lectures about always telling the truth. I felt so betrayed. I can only imagine how you must have felt going through this, and at such a young age.
  • FluffySandwich
    Options

Also, I'm so sorry this happened to you. I have a standing policy not to lie to my kids. If a shot at the doctors is going to hurt, I tell them and give them tips on how to deal with it. They don't believe in Santa Clause or the Tooth Fairy. I remember when I found out that Santa Clause wasn't real. My main thought was that I couldn't believe our mom had lied to us, after all her lectures about always telling the truth. I felt so betrayed. I can only imagine how you must have felt going through this, and at such a young age.

Thank you :) It was definitely hurtful at first, and it took me a while to forgive her, but now I have grown to understand that she was just extremely scared and didn't know how to deal with the situation. At least I came back with a few interesting stories about my time in there, if anything (one time I helped a boy write down some rather amusing rap lyrics :tongue: ).
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Found out that tomorrow's school is a half day because of the heat. I was looking forward to 2 last days for myself before the kids are off for the Summer and I'm extremely bummed. I'm guessing that Tuesday will be a half day too... I'm so not ready for this.

I am totally thrilled that I only have to make lunches at 7am three more days!! WOOHOO! By September though I will be dying to get back on a routine.....
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    I'm compiling a list of what to bring to my two-week Dominican Republic trip. I'm thinking a few dresses, shorts, tank tops (or t-shirts), bug spray, sunscreen, aloe vera, pepto bismol, band-aids, flip flops, hats, hand sanitizer, and dressier sandals for resort restaurants.

Does anyone have any tips or recommend something I might have missed? I have zero experience with resorts.

EDIT: Oh, and probably at least three bathing suits.

Workout clothes and sneakers :p
    :confounded: I probably should so I don't gain 20 pounds!!

I'm compiling a list of what to bring to my two-week Dominican Republic trip. I'm thinking a few dresses, shorts, tank tops (or t-shirts), bug spray, sunscreen, aloe vera, pepto bismol, band-aids, flip flops, hats, hand sanitizer, and dressier sandals for resort restaurants.

Does anyone have any tips or recommend something I might have missed? I have zero experience with resorts.

When are you going? I'm going for 2 weeks on 15th July. My boyfriend has been reading up and apparently you should cover your arms and legs in the evening to avoid mosquito bites.
    Two weeks starting June 18, so it's coming up fast :) I know to bring a huge thing of sunscreen, and I'm probably going to bring some Off to keep the bugs away. Thinking of ordering a couple of dresses.... also, I know that I should probably tip the person making up my room and everything, but I don't know how much money for tip I should put aside :confused:
    We go to Mexico every year or two for a week and take about US $100 in singles and some fives for tips. Usually we'll leave $1 for drinks, $3 for casual lunches and $5+ for the fancier dinner restaurants (all dependent on service). This assumes an all inclusive resort. Is that right?
    ETA: couple of bucks a day for room cleaning.
    Yep, all inclusive. I told my boyfriend your advice and he said ''Sorry but I'm not paying a dollar for every drink I get.'' I've heard, however, that if you DON'T tip... you get watered down gross stuff.
    Yeah, also, the workers get paid very little, so their tips make a big difference.
    If you look for your resort on Trip Advisor, there will be loads of reviews and people will often mention things like tipping and how to get the best service, etc etc. I'm glued to that site when I'm getting ready to go on vacation!
    I'm looking at TripAdvisor as we speak! My boyfriend's mom recommended we bring twenty dollars of tip for the whole two weeks. I think that's outrageously low, but when I told him that he seemed surprised.
    There are those people on trips who don't ever tip. Don't be those people.

Agree! Even in the states I tip well as its a lot of people's livelihoods :)

Exactly.....Canada including.....I made sure my children learned how to tip properly even....I have meet so many people that do not know or do not care to tip properly....I hate it...and just for the record, I have never been a server....I always get a separate bill when eating out with friends because I do not trust people to tip properly....

I remember my daughter's bio mother refused to tip at all, ever, for anything, it was terrible....
  • Italian_Buju
    Options

<3
  • FluffySandwich
    Options

When are you going? I'm going for 2 weeks on 15th July. My boyfriend has been reading up and apparently you should cover your arms and legs in the evening to avoid mosquito bites.
    Two weeks starting June 18, so it's coming up fast :) I know to bring a huge thing of sunscreen, and I'm probably going to bring some Off to keep the bugs away. Thinking of ordering a couple of dresses.... also, I know that I should probably tip the person making up my room and everything, but I don't know how much money for tip I should put aside :confused:
    We go to Mexico every year or two for a week and take about US $100 in singles and some fives for tips. Usually we'll leave $1 for drinks, $3 for casual lunches and $5+ for the fancier dinner restaurants (all dependent on service). This assumes an all inclusive resort. Is that right?
    Yep, all inclusive. I told my boyfriend your advice and he said ''Sorry but I'm not paying a dollar for every drink I get.'' I've heard, however, that if you DON'T tip... you get watered down gross stuff.
    Yeah, also, the workers get paid very little, so their tips make a big difference.
    If you look for your resort on Trip Advisor, there will be loads of reviews and people will often mention things like tipping and how to get the best service, etc etc. I'm glued to that site when I'm getting ready to go on vacation!
    I'm looking at TripAdvisor as we speak! My boyfriend's mom recommended we bring twenty dollars of tip for the whole two weeks. I think that's outrageously low, but when I told him that he seemed surprised.

Exactly.....Canada including.....I made sure my children learned how to tip properly even....I have meet so many people that do not know or do not care to tip properly....I hate it...and just for the record, I have never been a server....I always get a separate bill when eating out with friends because I do not trust people to tip properly....

I remember my daughter's bio mother refused to tip at all, ever, for anything, it was terrible....
    I've known people who would cry if they didn't receive a tip :( I once went out to eat dinner with my family and received terrible service. The place was full, the waiter wouldn't even talk to us and looked hassled out of his mind.... but my mom still tipped him quite a bit because the guy probably just had a rough day. A good tip might help relieve some of that stress at least.

• Italian_Buju
    Options

I've known people who would cry if they didn't receive a tip :( I once went out to eat dinner with my family and received terrible service. The place was full, the waiter wouldn't even talk to us and looked hassled out of his mind.... but my mom still tipped him quite a bit because the guy probably just had a rough day. A good tip might help relieve some of that stress at least.

Exactly! If the wait staff is horrid, not because they are over busy but because they are straight up rude or it is not busy and they are just being terrible, I might not tip much, HOWEVER if the service is bad enough that I do not tip at all, the person will know why because I have spoken to someone about it.....

But if it is over busy, or if you experience problems that are kitchen related then that is not the fault of the wait staff and they should still be tipped properly.

One time I was at a restaurant with my kids and the table next to us had 10 people and MAJOR kitchen issues....seriously, I do not blame them for being upset. The waitress ran all over trying as hard as she could to make it right....the manager finally came over and comped the entire table and those ignorant people did not tip the girl at all....I felt so terrible I even went over to talk to her for a moment about it.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options

What a horrible, traumatic thing to happen to you. So sorry you went through that. I'm sure your mom just wanted to help, but jeeez!