Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    mathjulz wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    peppypea wrote: »
    OK, dunno if I will be lost in the shuffle, but I'll post mine:
    Organic is a scam and a waste of money

GMO are safe and verified and there is no need to label them

You don't really need 8 glasses of water- thirst exists for a reason

Almost no one can follow a fad diet forever- and healthful changes will only last with a change you can sustain for the long haul

That's all I got for now

Science>woo

You might find more and more people are seeing this. Although there are still a lot of propaganda driven "mocumentaries" out there.

Even sarcasm wouldn't make that comment appropriate...

Lol.

@nutmegoreo - they deleted that mean post I was multi-quoting and left part of yours still up - makes it look like I was just quoting you and pepptpea, so I get flagged. heh

I'm glad you cleared that up. It made no sense as I read it (the mean post gone).

Though I am somewhat curious now, haha...

It was a pretty raw and direct attack on a previous posters appearance.

Out of the blue and for no reason at all, no less.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »
    That ALL forms of calorie counting, weight loss dieting, food restriction that is not based on DOCTOR DIAGNOSED allergies or orders to cut a food from your diet, exercise intended for "body sculpting", and the like are forms of eating/body dysmorphic disorders that cause anywhere from mild to severe mental and social consequences for those engaging in them; and can (although do not always) lead to severe physical effects in those practicing them. I believe most of the people who use MFP have unrecognized eating or body dysmorphic disorders, mostly orthorexia.

And here you are ...

To be fair it is difficult to be a woman in today's society and NOT have some degree of body issues. Men too although to a lesser degree typically.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I have an *unpopular*

What is with $6 loaves of bread? I mean, yes, Dave's Killer bread is tasty. But is it $4.50 a loaf more tasty than the regular whole wheat? I submit that it is not.

I had sticker shock recently. My son, every now and then, goes through picky phases. I saw these strawberry Fairlife nutrition drinks and thought they would be just the thing for him. Dear Glob. Almost $8.00 for a pack of 4 tiny drinks.

I bought him some yogurt instead.

FWIW they weren't that good! The milk tastes better and has close enough of a nutrition profile
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I have an *unpopular*

What is with $6 loaves of bread? I mean, yes, Dave's Killer bread is tasty. But is it $4.50 a loaf more tasty than the regular whole wheat? I submit that it is not.

I had sticker shock recently. My son, every now and then, goes through picky phases. I saw these strawberry Fairlife nutrition drinks and thought they would be just the thing for him. Dear Glob. Almost $8.00 for a pack of 4 tiny drinks.

I bought him some yogurt instead.

FWIW they weren't that good! The milk tastes better and has close enough of a nutrition profile

Good to know, sorry you wasted money on them. The milk is definitely worth the money.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    MJ2victory wrote: »
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    ok I'm ready to weigh in on this (hahaha I crack myself up). Here are my unpopular opinions:

1. Weighing daily is unhealthy. (not to say it isn't tempting)
    2. Weight loss should not be your objective. It's a side affect of making healthier choices.
    3. Mental health is just as important as physical health (if not more).
    4. If you lose weight bc you hate yourself, you will still hate yourself at your goal weight and you WILL gain it back.

Sometimes, losing weight (in and of itself) is the best thing a person can do for their health.

not if they're going to immediately gain it back because they didn't deal with their relationship with food and the emotional baggage that may have caused them to gain the weight.

Who says they didn't deal with those issues as a means to the goal of losing weight?

like I said in my original post: my opinion is that weight loss should be a byproduct, not the goal. The goal is to feel better, be more physically able, not eat emotionally, love yourself, etc. Weight is just your relationship with gravity. If you make lifestyle changes, you may lose weight, but it's about the weakest measurement of health.

Obesity is detrimental to physical health. It's hardly a weak measurement of health. If a person is obese and they have an unhealthy relationship with food, then yes they need to deal with that unhealthy relationship in order to achieve the goal of overcoming obesity because obesity kills.

What a ridiculous oversimplification. There is a correlation between obesity and some illnesses. And do you remember what was talked about in high school about the dangers of assuming causation vs correlation?

No, obesity has been proven to CAUSE deaths. In 2015 four MILLION people died worldwide due to excess body weight. You'd really tout a high school lecture on correlation vs. causation as the authority trumping thousands of scientists and doctors worldwide? The science is very clear that obesity kills. You're deluded if you just think "weight is your relationship with gravity" and nothing more.

you can think my argument is stupid or disagree with me but no scientist is going to say that obesity causes death. Show me that article. They all say it's linked or it can lead to a cause of death. Your weight is the result of over eating and/or a sedentary lifestyle. Overeating and/or a sedentary lifestyle? leads to excess weight. leads to several causes of death. Obesity doesn't literally kill you.

Semantics. Obesity = excess fat. When fat is unnaturally abundant it wrecks havoc with several systems. It's not an idle organ that just hangs there minding its own business. The mere act of being obese increases the risk for the top killer diseases. Is an active obese better off than an inactive obese? Sure, but an active lean person has better chances than both.

Semantics are important. Like the way you called fat people just "obese" and called thin people "lean person." Fun dehumanization in action. Why would "an obese" ever want to make healthy changes while being made to feel inhuman? We are not disagreeing, you just don't like my words. But they're important to me.

"Obese" is a clinical term referring to the presence of more fat on the body than is healthy (simplified definition). It's not a "dehumanization" or even a derogatory term.

I think the issue is with it being used as a noun - "an obese" - rather than an adjective - "an obese person," particularly when the alternative is called a "lean person." That's why it feels dehumanizing.

It's also entirely possible that there was a typing error - the word "person" unintentionally omitted, where she meant to say "an obese person" (just like "a lean person"). I've done that sort of thing myself on occasion.

I agree that word use and semantics can be important. But I also think that we need to strive for understanding before being offended.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I often get weird looks when I say that many store bought cakes and treats are gross in my opinion. But they are to me. Usually way way too sweet and too many gums in there to keep the cream airy.
    My taste has changed a lot but it seems that some people just think I am playing it. I am not I really think many foods I love are gross now.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    panda4153 wrote: »
    Regarding women and pregnancy weight gain, I think it's fair to say this. There are a lot of women out there who gain a lot more than what they really need to. Regardless of whatever amount of weight that is, there are a lot of women who gain excessively.

So do non pregnant men. What's your point?

Exactly what I was wondering in response to that statement.

Perhaps the point being made was not that non pregnant people also gain too much, but that there are women who use the pregnancy as an excuse to gain too much.

People use lots of things as an excuse for weight gain, so again I'm not sure what JasonForecaster's point was in singling out -- indeed, concern trolling, or so it seemed to me -- about pregnant women doing this. I found it rather humorous (in a way) that he did so. After all, no one asserted that pregnant women never gain too much, there's no particular reason to see pregnant women gaining weight with a pregnancy as the driving force of the obesity problem, which is much broader, and it seems odd that Jason, who is a normal or underweight single guy, last I recall, would be particularly concerned about how all these pregnant women are packing on the pounds. Well, not odd, exactly, but something.
    IRL, I would say that more than half of women I know who have become pregnant gained substantially more weight than they needed to. I don't know if that represents the population as a whole, but among those I actually know, it seems to me like it's a very common (and preventable) issue.

Did you ask these friends of yours how much they gained or you just assumed they gained more than necessary? Curious.
    I did not ask. But I also know other pregnant women who did not gain excessively. There's obviously a noticeable difference between a few extra pounds and a ton extra.

In pregnant women, you can tell just by looking at them how much weight they've put on? That's quite a talent. I wonder how you would have pegged me, who has fibroid tumors that grow to tennis ball/baseball size during pregnancy due to all the excess hormones and gave the distinct appearance that I was carrying twins even though I had only gained 22 lbs and 27 lbs with my pregnancies and gave birth to single, healthy weight, babies each time.

Seriously dude, stop digging your hole. You have no idea how much weight any of those women gained, what their doctors advised them was healthy, etc.
    I never claimed to be able to tell exactly how much weight anyone gained. I said I could tell a difference between a little extra weight and a ton.

And since this thread is about unpopular opinions, what I'm saying is still valid.

yj7pt09c1p5c.jpg
    I find it hilarious that you actually went back that many pages back to respond to that post, when I later made it obvious I had moved off from discussing that topic.

• WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I find it kind of disordered to think wanting to get to a healthy weight is disordered in all honesty.

This.
  • HanMW96
    HanMW96 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Being underweight is NOT healthier than being overweight. I had friends who died from complications due to being underweight, but none if my overweight friends are actually unhealthy or ill.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    panda4153 wrote: »
    Regarding women and pregnancy weight gain, I think it's fair to say this. There are a lot of women out there who gain a lot more than what they really need to. Regardless of whatever amount of weight that is, there are a lot of women who gain excessively.

So do non pregnant men. What's your point?

Exactly what I was wondering in response to that statement.

Perhaps the point being made was not that non pregnant people also gain too much, but that there are women who use the pregnancy as an excuse to gain too much.

People use lots of things as an excuse for weight gain, so again I'm not sure what JasonForecaster's point was in singling out -- indeed, concern trolling, or so it seemed to me -- about pregnant women doing this. I found it rather humorous (in a way) that he did so. After all, no one asserted that pregnant women never gain too much, there's no particular reason to see pregnant women gaining weight with a pregnancy as the driving force of the obesity problem, which is much broader, and it seems odd that Jason, who is a normal or underweight single guy, last I recall, would be particularly concerned about how all these pregnant women are packing on the pounds. Well, not odd, exactly, but something.
    IRL, I would say that more than half of women I know who have become pregnant gained substantially more weight than they needed to. I don't know if that represents the population as a whole, but among those I actually know, it seems to me like it's a very common (and preventable) issue.

Did you ask these friends of yours how much they gained or you just assumed they gained more than necessary? Curious.
    I did not ask. But I also know other pregnant women who did not gain excessively. There's obviously a noticeable difference between a few extra pounds and a ton extra.

In pregnant women, you can tell just by looking at them how much weight they've put on? That's quite a talent. I wonder how you would have pegged me, who has fibroid tumors that grow to tennis ball/baseball size during pregnancy due to all the excess hormones and gave the distinct appearance that I was carrying twins even though I had only gained 22 lbs and 27 lbs with my pregnancies and gave birth to single, healthy weight, babies each time.

Seriously dude, stop digging your hole. You have no idea how much weight any of those women gained, what their doctors advised them was healthy, etc.
    I never claimed to be able to tell exactly how much weight anyone gained. I said I could tell a difference between a little extra weight and a ton.

And since this thread is about unpopular opinions, what I'm saying is still valid.

yj7pt09c1p5c.jpg
    I find it hilarious that you actually went back that many pages back to respond to that post, when I later made it obvious I had moved off from discussing that topic.

I didn't. I posted it at least an hour ago. I have no idea why it's only showing up now. But I'm glad to see you have a healthy sense of humor.
  • pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    +1000. It shouldn't even be legal for them to call it chocolate.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I have an *unpopular*

oh yay, back on track. me:

i'm old enough to remember when jane fonda was a thing, and in the same kind of way only more-so, i resent the *kitten* out of bret contreras. it's not about his expertise or the validity of his programme. it simply isn't his place to define what makes a woman 'genetically gifted' or not, or be indirectly setting the standard for what shape of bum we 'should' have.

He has a PhD in exercise science. Don't know what the qualifications are, but I would be pretty sure he has more of them than advertising execs or the leaders of the Fat Acceptance Movement.
This discussion has been closed.