Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Psst. ....all you sugar addicts.

I can supply all sorts of British goodies. ...for the right price of course ;)

If you can get Lion Bars for less than $2.50 each delivered we might be able to find an arrangement.

American or Canadian $

Oh!!! Amazon price has gone down since the last time I checked, they're down to 1.15. MMMMM

I apologize....

OH, and US.

I don't know what any of these yummies are. :cry::

A lion bar is what you would get if you crossed a little debbie peanut wafer bar with a snickers bar... Chocolate, rice crisps, nuts, caramel

Also comes in white chocolate....

Okay, here is my unpopular opinion- I think white chocolate is super gross. I won't eat it. I am not that picky a person about food, I will always try something at least once, but nope, really hate white chocolate. My OH loves it and his chocolate stash is always safe from me. Even Shark Week cravings won't compel me to eat it >.<

I'm not a big fan but largely because it's just too sweet for me.
  • MJ2victory
    MJ2victory Posts: 97 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    MJ2victory wrote: »
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    ok I'm ready to weigh in on this (hahaha I crack myself up). Here are my unpopular opinions:

1. Weighing daily is unhealthy. (not to say it isn't tempting)
    2. Weight loss should not be your objective. It's a side affect of making healthier choices.
    3. Mental health is just as important as physical health (if not more).
    4. If you lose weight bc you hate yourself, you will still hate yourself at your goal weight and you WILL gain it back.

Sometimes, losing weight (in and of itself) is the best thing a person can do for their health.

not if they're going to immediately gain it back because they didn't deal with their relationship with food and the emotional baggage that may have caused them to gain the weight.

Who says they didn't deal with those issues as a means to the goal of losing weight?

like I said in my original post: my opinion is that weight loss should be a byproduct, not the goal. The goal is to feel better, be more physically able, not eat emotionally, love yourself, etc. Weight is just your relationship with gravity. If you make lifestyle changes, you may lose weight, but it's about the weakest measurement of health.

Obesity is detrimental to physical health. It's hardly a weak measurement of health. If a person is obese and they have an unhealthy relationship with food, then yes they need to deal with that unhealthy relationship in order to achieve the goal of overcoming obesity because obesity kills.

What a ridiculous oversimplification. There is a correlation between obesity and some illnesses. And do you remember what was talked about in high school about the dangers of assuming causation vs correlation?

No, obesity has been proven to CAUSE deaths. In 2015 four MILLION people died worldwide due to excess body weight. You'd really tout a high school lecture on correlation vs. causation as the authority trumping thousands of scientists and doctors worldwide? The science is very clear that obesity kills. You're deluded if you just think "weight is your relationship with gravity" and nothing more.

you can think my argument is stupid or disagree with me but no scientist is going to say that obesity causes death. Show me that article. They all say it's linked or it can lead to a cause of death. Your weight is the result of over eating and/or a sedentary lifestyle. Overeating and/or a sedentary lifestyle? leads to excess weight. leads to several causes of death. Obesity doesn't literally kill you.

Semantics. Obesity = excess fat. When fat is unnaturally abundant it wrecks havoc with several systems. It's not an idle organ that just hangs there minding its own business. The mere act of being obese increases the risk for the top killer diseases. Is an active obese better off than an inactive obese? Sure, but an active lean person has better chances than both.

Semantics are important. Like the way you called fat people just "obese" and called thin people "lean person." Fun dehumanization in action. Why would "an obese" ever want to make healthy changes while being made to feel inhuman? We are not disagreeing, you just don't like my words. But they're important to me.

"Obese" is a clinical term referring to the presence of more fat on the body than is healthy (simplified definition). It's not a "dehumanization" or even a derogatory term.

I think the issue is with it being used as a noun - "an obese" - rather than an adjective - "an obese person," particularly when the alternative is called a "lean person." That's why it feels dehumanizing.

this was the quote: "Is an active obese better off than an inactive obese? Sure, but an active lean person has better chances than both."
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    tapwaters wrote: »
    I think the whole "eat what you want as long as it fits in your calories" tripe is total *kitten*. Yea, you'll lose weight, but you'll still be fatty on the inside and not healthy.

and 99.9% of those comments say eat whatever you like but also make sure that you get adequate nutrition and macros..

I have yet to find this mythical person advocating for a diet of 100% cookies as long as it fits your calories...

After wading through a previous discussion or two in this thread, I'm sorely tempted. Cookies all day sounds really good right now.

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
    (Is that enough?)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    anaxmann wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I don't believe humans were necessarily meant to eat grain nor dairy... Maybe some have adapted but I know many people and myself feel terrible after eating any gluten or dairy.

Apples give me a stomachache. Therefore people aren't necessarily meant to eat apples?

Well, what evidence can you provide that we were meant to eat apples?

Adam and Eve. >:)

That probably wasn't an apple and they weren't supposed to eat it. Not that I am arguing against eating apples, or any non-poisonous fruit... ;)

Yeah, it probably wasn't an apple, and they were told it was the only thing in the garden they weren't supposed to eat, therefore we were meant to eat apples. QED.

Oh, wait, you mean there's no evidence there were any apples in the garden? Oh, well. ;-)

I think it's weird that people are supposed to prove that we were meant to eat apples. I don't think humans were meant to eat anything in particular, including apples, but in that apples are reasonably nutritious and not harmful and taste good, I would take exception to the idea that humans are not MEANT to eat them since supposedly at some point in human development humans (at least humans in certain places) did not.

On the whole, I think the whole meant/non meant applies only if one is making some sort of argument based on the intent of a creator or an idea of evolution (as in evolved to be perfectly suited to an environment and food and then stopped) that is entirely unscientific.

(I realize this discussion had moved on, but it was more entertaining that many of the subsequent ones.)
  • VintageFeline

If you can get Lion Bars for less than $2.50 each delivered we might be able to find an arrangement.

Sent from the uk at a quick glance will cost $45 for 40 sent snail mail and up to $60 sent airmail. (Not looked at customs and restrictions)

I sent stuff overseas all the time, it won't cost that much for that many.

Edit: That was a bit vague. £10 at a push for postage.

Up to 2kg is 13.35 snail 19.65/22.45 normal up to 66.85 priority plus cost of bars and packaging. Around $45 dollars. Prices taken from r.m website

Gotcha now! Thought you were just talking about the post cost. and snail mail isn't really a thing anymore, it's just an upsell. Because everything goes on a plane now. it's rare i have anything take more than a week to get anywhere (other than Canada, who seem to really struggle sending and receiving overseas at the moment) and I probably send over 100 parcels a year conservatively.

If I was using a courier (Parcelforce) then it wouldn't be them, outrageously expensive. I used UPS for a reeeaaallly heavy package a couple of years ago, incidentally largely candy and it was "only" £25.

Anyway, so off topic!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I hate how when you are waiting at an office for a doctor or a lawyer or anything they always say have a seat and everyone is always sitting I preferred to stand when I am waiting. I sit all day long at my job why would I want to sit more !? Everyone always has to be sitting down for everything and everyone always goes out of their way to make sure your sitting or have a seat in any circumstance. I think it's lazy. (For people who don't have medical conditions or are impaired). Not saying everyone has to be standing but I hate how people act like your insane if you prefer to stand and wait or not be sitting at every chance.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    I hate how when you are waiting at an office for a doctor or a lawyer or anything they always say have a seat and everyone is always sitting I preferred to stand when I am waiting. I sit all day long at my job why would I want to sit more !? Everyone always has to be sitting down for everything and everyone always goes out of their way to make sure your sitting or have a seat in any circumstance. I think it's lazy. (For people who don't have medical conditions or are impaired). Not saying everyone has to be standing but I hate how people act like your insane if you prefer to stand and wait or not be sitting at every chance.

Pretty sure it's just an attempt at hospitality as most people are more comfortable sitting. I don't think they mean "you may not stand."

Actually, I, too, have had people be a little weird about it - act sort of nervous about it, as if I were about to do something else odd. Partly it may be that some waiting areas have no logical-seeming place to stand. A couple of times, there's been a bit of a weird dance with some polite, well-bred young person who felt they should give up their chair to me (grey-haired older woman), when I really preferred to stand. Heh.

Not a big deal, IME, though - no hostility or anything.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Pretty sure it's just an attempt at hospitality as most people are more comfortable sitting. I don't think they mean "you may not stand."

Actually, I, too, have had people be a little weird about it - act sort of nervous about it, as if I were about to do something else odd. Partly it may be that some waiting areas have no logical-seeming place to stand. A couple of times, there's been a bit of a weird dance with some polite, well-bred young person who felt they should give up their chair to me (grey-haired older woman), when I really preferred to stand. Heh.

Not a big deal, IME, though - no hostility or anything.

I will admit, the one time I was in a waiting room and there was a person standing, it was really weird.

It was a really tiny waiting room and there really was no good place to stand, but to make matters worse, she was standing in the worst possible place out of a plehtora of bad places. It was awkward.

I think I'm going to stand the next time I go to that same waiting room. I'm wondering if I can find a better spot!
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    anaxmann wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I don't believe humans were necessarily meant to eat grain nor dairy... Maybe some have adapted but I know many people and myself feel terrible after eating any gluten or dairy.

Apples give me a stomachache. Therefore people aren't necessarily meant to eat apples?

Well, what evidence can you provide that we were meant to eat apples?

Adam and Eve. >:)

That probably wasn't an apple and they weren't supposed to eat it. Not that I am arguing against eating apples, or any non-poisonous fruit... ;)

Yeah, it probably wasn't an apple, and they were told it was the only thing in the garden they weren't supposed to eat, therefore we were meant to eat apples. QED.

Oh, wait, you mean there's no evidence there were any apples in the garden? Oh, well. ;-)

I think it's weird that people are supposed to prove that we were meant to eat apples. I don't think humans were meant to eat anything in particular, including apples, but in that apples are reasonably nutritious and not harmful and taste good, I would take exception to the idea that humans are not MEANT to eat them since supposedly at some point in human development humans (at least humans in certain places) did not.

On the whole, I think the whole meant/non meant applies only if one is making some sort of argument based on the intent of a creator or an idea of evolution (as in evolved to be perfectly suited to an environment and food and then stopped) that is entirely unscientific.

(I realize this discussion had moved on, but it was more entertaining that many of the subsequent ones.)

(I commented for similar reasons, everything else was so serious :/ . Plus, the whole apple misconception gives apples a bad rep and they can't stand up for themselves.)
  • VintageFeline

I might know someone, ahem, who smuggled Kinder Surprises into the States earlier this year. Ahem.

Apparently a way has been discovered to legally and overtly import them for commercial sale. I saw an article on the subject earlier this year.

I checked in April and they're still contraband. However, Kinder has developed a new thing called Kinder Joy where it's an egg but one side is a scoopy delicious thing and the other side the toy. Skirting the whole people are stupid and will eat the egg and toy deal. I think those are being launched in the US though we have them here as well as the Surprises.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Wait, am I the supplier?

nah, don't worry. you're not implicated :tongue.

the drug store i constantly visit in hopes has had a shipment.

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    peppypea wrote: »
    OK, dunno if I will be lost in the shuffle, but I'll post mine:
    Organic is a scam and a waste of money

GMO are safe and verified and there is no need to label them

You don't really need 8 glasses of water- thirst exists for a reason

Almost no one can follow a fad diet forever- and healthful changes will only last with a change you can sustain for the long haul

That's all I got for now

Science>woo

You might find more and more people are seeing this. Although there are still a lot of propaganda driven "mocumentaries" out there.

Even sarcasm wouldn't make that comment appropriate...

Lol.

@nutmegoreo - they deleted that mean post I was multi-quoting and left part of yours still up - makes it look like I was just quoting you and pepptpea, so I get flagged. heh

I'm glad you cleared that up. It made no sense as I read it (the mean post gone).

Though I am somewhat curious now, haha...
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    mathjulz wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    peppypea wrote: »
    OK, dunno if I will be lost in the shuffle, but I'll post mine:
    Organic is a scam and a waste of money

GMO are safe and verified and there is no need to label them

You don't really need 8 glasses of water- thirst exists for a reason

Almost no one can follow a fad diet forever- and healthful changes will only last with a change you can sustain for the long haul

That's all I got for now

Science>woo

You might find more and more people are seeing this. Although there are still a lot of propaganda driven "mocumentaries" out there.

Even sarcasm wouldn't make that comment appropriate...

Lol.

@nutmegoreo - they deleted that mean post I was multi-quoting and left part of yours still up - makes it look like I was just quoting you and pepptpea, so I get flagged. heh

I'm glad you cleared that up. It made no sense as I read it (the mean post gone).

Though I am somewhat curious now, haha...

It was a pretty raw and direct attack on a previous posters appearance.
This discussion has been closed.