Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

which is the best diet for overall health and weight loss

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    imfornd wrote: »
    bottom line 40% is too high - 20% is better - especially when you can get the ATP you need from Fat content - FAT is good for you - small amount of sugar you need but not almost half you diet

I am destined to die now since I eat around 45% sometimes more.

I'm surprised I didn't drop dead from all those refeeds I did in the last few months of last year. I was pushing 300+ grams of carbs a day on weekends, easily over 40% of my cals. And yet here I am, slim, healthy (other than eczema and hay fever, which have no connection to carb or sugar intake, might have tested that one already...), perfect blood work (including A1C). I are special snowflake?

<3 Special Snowflake... lol

I am pushing about 250-275 a day right now daily, maintaining weight, feel great, stamina to do lots of exercise and I will be 50 veeeeerrry soon.

I ran 10 miles today (training run this morning), I wonder if carbs had anything to do with that???

I pay so little attention to my carb intake (and none to sugar). So long as I'm hitting my protein and fat goals (and please note bro guy that fat is far from low), I honestly don't care where the rest of the cals fall, other than enough carbs to fuel activity and that's usually going to be over 30%. When the damn weather cools down enough to start running again, it will be higher. I am seriously perplexed as to why healthy, non-diabetic individuals should be remotely scared of carbohydrates. Did we get any sources on that yet?

(secretly waiting for Bro Dude to make outrageous claims about how people in the Palaeolithic ate...)

I have seen no resources on non-diabetic. Did bro guy leave the building?

I too concentrate on protein and fat first. I NEED dietary fat for hormonal balance at my age. Protein is essential to for my exercise (lifting and now running back into my schedule). I let the carbs fall too. And I chose good sources, but I also enjoy a good dessert every night as well. :laugh:

If I had to eat 40% protein and 40% fat I would not feel like eating too much of anything else really.

And today is the only nice day this week to be outside. Winter has killed my outdoor running, treadmills are the worst for training. So I have to take it when it comes, I went into work later so I could run, but don't tell anyone. lol

I can so relate to this.

Couldn't run through all the snow this morning, though, and the weekend is definitely going to be another treadmill one, sigh.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I eat these sometimes as a snack...they're marketed as "healthy" because they're high fat and "paleo approved"...

I mean, I'm sure they're very healthy being high fat and all...

But I'm on the fence with the 8 grams of sugar...err...I mean 26 grams of sugar...but hey...it's high fat so I think we're good here...

Well if it's "paleo inspired" and has a picture of a caveman on the wrapper, it must be healthy, right? Because paleo.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I eat these sometimes as a snack...they're marketed as "healthy" because they're high fat and "paleo approved"...

I mean, I'm sure they're very healthy being high fat and all...

But I'm on the fence with the 8 grams of sugar...err...I mean 26 grams of sugar...but hey...it's high fat so I think we're good here...

Defo 26g.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited February 2018
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Paleo is one of the biggest diet scams to come along in a while. To begin with, it's built upon false premises and assumptions. Couple that with the fact that an entire industry has formed around selling packaged/processed "paleo" products - and I'm pretty overwhelmingly sure that paleolithic man didn't have access to much in the way of packaged/processed foods.

(Note: I'm not saying there's anything inherently wrong with packaged/processed foods, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of the paleo craze. If you're going to claim to eat like a caveman, sit there on a rock and gnaw on a freshly-killed animal carcass you roasted over an open fire, or boil some plants you just picked - don't peel the wrapper off your "paleo friendly" candy bar and think you're doing something special and virtuous.)

It's even more ridiculous than the "clean" or "whole food" based eaters who rail about the evils of processed foods, yet they use protein powders, supplement products, "superfood" mixtures, etc.

TRUFAX: Some of the tastiest gluten free pancakes I've ever had came from a package of "paleo" pancake mix.

Cuz cavemen totally chowed down on pancakes, yo.

Now, there were several funny things about this product (including the fact that almonds weren't even edible in the paleolithic era), but a recommendation in a thread here on MFP gave me a heads up that the taste and texture were good. I was more interested in a tasty GF product than anything else, tbh. I couldn't care less about the "paleo" claims.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    TRUFAX: Some of the tastiest gluten free pancakes I've ever had came from a package of "paleo" pancake mix.

Now, there were several funny things about this product (including the fact that almonds weren't even edible in the paleolithic era), but a recommendation in a thread here on MFP gave me a heads up that the taste and texture were good. I was more interested in a tasty GF product than anything else, tbh. I couldn't care less about the "paleo" claims.

@GottaBurnEmAll

What brand? Asking for my wife.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited February 2018

@GottaBurnEmAll

What brand? Asking for my wife.

Birchbenders.

81uo8enTvjL._SY450_.jpg

Great thing about it is that it's a just add water type mix, so it's easy to use. Be sure to follow the instructions to let the batter sit, the pancakes will the fluffier.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I adore Kitchfix Paleo Granola, but won't buy it, since it's silly high cal -- a bag (not that big) is like 10 servings and I could easily eat the whole thing. They also have a "paleo waffle mix," which is as hilarious as the pancake mix above. Probably tasty and high cal.

A serving has 27 g of carbs (before adding anything else), which I seem to recall someone else claiming made something inherently bad, though.
  • drlovvorn
    drlovvorn Posts: 2 Member
    The overwhelming body of evidence of low-carb/high fat trials has been aimed at the obese and diabetic. They work in that population and are safe to use in that population. There is a much more limited body of evidence in the non-diabetic person, but seems to be increasing slowly with the resurgence of low carb and keto.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I refuse to even buy anything with the word 'paleo' on it. Is anyone surprised? :D

To be fair though, Palaeolithic peoples did use processing equipment, to *shock horror* make flour :o . Presumably for the pancakes...

Almonds, coconut, cassava. Seems legit. I'm sure all paleolithic people had access to those ingredients in their locations around the world.........oh and they totally avoided grains, that flour was made from almonds. Right?
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    I just had a sticky toffee mug cake with vanilla Breyer's Delight vanilla ice cream. Was pretty legit. Don't mind if I die now.

My daughter loves those mug cakes, warm cake and ice cream sounds like heaven