Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I've been lurking since page 1... wasn't planning to post was just enjoying the confessions. Then the thread went on, and on, and on, and I never felt it was the right opportunity to post anything. Just wanted to say that there are probably lots of us who enjoy this thread, who empathise, who find it interesting, who laugh and cry along with everyone else, and might not post a lot but thoroughly enjoyed it, and hopefully will continue to do so.

My confession (I feel the need to contribute at least once) is that I skipped breakfast today so I could go for a waffle and ice-cream for lunch and I also have a take-away curry for dinner tonight. I use CICO when it suits me!

I am in maintenance at the moment as I have started NROLFW and am enjoying eating all the foods now, but this is the first time I've had ice-cream for lunch and I have no regrets!

Welcome!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    In the interest of staying on track on this thread...

Confession: I have gained 16 pounds since I started this job in November. Granted it's a desk job, and I came from a fairly active job where I was on my feet a lot. This morning I was down two pounds from my current highest weight. However, my MFP weight is still lower than where I am currently, so I can't log the loss. And that makes me a little sad. :'(

I have also been working SL 5X5s since November. I'm starting to feel strong! Last night I did 190 lbs on my squat, tried for 75 pounds on my OHP (but couldn't finish all my reps on the last set), and 215 on my deadlift. Lost my grip on the last deadlift. I think I need some deadlifting gloves to help my grip. I am going to be trying 120 pounds on my bench press tomorrow night, and 105 on my rows. I <3 lifting!

What is SL 5X5s? Other people have mentioned it and I have never heard of it?

Stronglifts. It's an organized weight training program, like New Rules of Lifting for Women or Strong Curves.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    My confession is I have stretch marks literally ALL over my body. I have them on my boobs, stomach, thighs, and all over my back. Never pregnant, just formerly morbidly obese. I know stretch marks are normal but when they cover the majority of your body, it's a little overwhelming to accept that. I never took care of myself/my body as a teenager and unfortunately I can't do anything about the damage that has been done. What a great wish it would be to be able to go back in time and have a second chance with your body. I wish I knew then what I know now...but what can ya do? I am only 22 and I feel as if my body is just ruined. I don't feel comfortable in my own skin, it's honestly a very sad situation. You only get one body, and I messed mine up, there's no turning back really. As you can tell I have a lot of regrets. I also deal with loose skin but that's a whole other story on it's own. Hopefully at some point in my life I will feel better about my body and learn to accept it as who I am, but that hasn't happened yet.

Unfortunately, this is me as well. I do have some hope that the stretch marks will fade away and the skin will tighten up, because I'm only twenty. Twenty two isn't much older, so why give up hope? :)

SusieQ, I had no idea you were only 20!!! (Sorry if the 'only' sounds condescending, not intended. I am literally twice your age ;) ) Have you been married very long?

I guess she was from the 1994 in her handle...are you turning the big 2-1 this year?!

That I am, in October. Although it's not really a big thing for me, since 21 is usually only a big date because people are legal drinkers then. :) Although I DO become eligible to apply for a free government-issued piece of land, the right of every Omani citizen, when I turn 21. ;)

I assumed it was your birthdate as well but never thought much about how old that made you. How long have you been married? And is it normal for a Muslim woman to be married that young? And to something you said a long time ago (before I got so behind) you are very mature for your age. :)

Not necessarily Muslim women, but Arab women, yes. Early marriage is encouraged in Islam, since extramarital relationships are forbidden and it's pretty hard for most people to remain celibate for so many years after puberty. But the average age of marriage is different in each culture, and not necessarily dictated by religion.

A sad fact: The age of marriage is getting higher in the Arab world only because most young men can no longer afford to get married. Fathers are demanding crazy-high dowries (a girl is eligible for a dowry in Islam, and she is the one who's supposed to pick it and the money/gift is supposed to be hers alone, but some selfish families demand high dowries and then the father keeps it, saying that it's his payback for all the years of taking care of his daughter. Yes, seriously. -_-), along with demands of gold jewellery, a huge wedding, a new wardrobe... And all of it is supposed to come out of the young man's pockets. This is very contrary to Islam's teachings and makes me quite angry; most men have to take a loan just to get married!

My father demanded a 6000 ($16000) Omani rial dowry (meant to be mine, he wouldn't touch the money), because he didn't want to look bad by "giving his daughter away cheaply" <--- Another stupid cultural thing. But since Islamically the dowry is my choice... I took the 6000 for the sake of appearance to appease my dad, then secretly returned every penny of it to my husband after the wedding was over. I also had a super tiny wedding and insisted on paying for it myself, with any money I had left from my years of working (I had to stop due to my FND, but I've worked since I was 15). I also refused new clothing/jewellery/etc. I find it so stupid and wasteful.

I've been married for 1.5 years, as you'll see as you get further back into the thread. ;)

You're so good about sharing your culture. I just want to say thanks for that.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Rant for the day. I offered to take my ex with my son and I when we go camping this weekend for Fathers day. At first he was all for it BUT because we can't leave exactly when he wanted to due to the fact I have a Dr appointment he threw a fit and now he is not coming. The irony of it is the Drs office just called to change the date of my visit so we could have went when he wanted to leave after all. Confession I might have sent him a snarky text telling him this. I shouldn't let him get under my skin or even offer to do things with/for him because I just get angry in the end and my son ends up being disappointed as well. Is it bad to wish he would just disappear off the face of the earth.

NO! Not bad at all. I've had issues with my youngest son's father since day one. Twenty-three years later he still causes us issues. Sorry, not to be negative and I hope your situation improves, but my ex was in jail recently for about 18 months. Quietest 18 months of my life! But, he's now out and back to his usual shenanigans.
  • kellienw335
    kellienw335 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    I can barely eat rice as rice, I do not understand eating it as dessert when there are so many better things out there!!

Big Brother people - I just saw a clip of Audrey (transgender houseguest) being interviewed by Jeff Schroeder.....I do not know why they keep using him to do interviews and stuff for that show....he is a jerk....ugh

Julie just got choked up talking about said house guest saying that she hopes fans watch with an open heart and an open mind and learn something about a community they might not know about <3

I haven't watched any of the interviews...but what makes you say that Jeff is a jerk? I've always thought he was a sweet, silly, fun guy. I loved both him and Jordan.

As did I. I loved watching Jordan on Amazing Race, I just wish that she made it further. Never could stand Rachel.

I could not stand Rachel, ugh.

Did you not find that Jeff treated Jordan pretty poorly during AR?

Rachel irritated the crap out of me. I always feel like Jeff talks down to Jordan; like just sit there and be pretty, but don't talk.
  • FroggyBug
    FroggyBug Posts: 4,883 Member
    Options
    I lied, I have another confession.

I keep starting the day strong with logging. Then by dinner I just give up and say to myself, "oh, I will just start over tomorrow". Then tomorrow comes and it is a repeat of the day before. I really want to get rid of the last 18 but just don't have the motivation anymore. Even when I go back to my progress graph to see where I was at this point last year, I amaze myself at how far I have come. I just can't seem to get the mojo to finish the job. *Sigh*

I've been there many times. This time I'm doing better than before. I'm not sure what advice to give but if it helps, I believe that you can do it!

Just hunker down and be serious. I know it sucks a lot of the time (I have a lot of days where I don't want to bother eating well anymore) but if you keep going and doing good, you'll look back at this time in the future and be glad you got serious again.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    My confession is I have stretch marks literally ALL over my body. I have them on my boobs, stomach, thighs, and all over my back. Never pregnant, just formerly morbidly obese. I know stretch marks are normal but when they cover the majority of your body, it's a little overwhelming to accept that. I never took care of myself/my body as a teenager and unfortunately I can't do anything about the damage that has been done. What a great wish it would be to be able to go back in time and have a second chance with your body. I wish I knew then what I know now...but what can ya do? I am only 22 and I feel as if my body is just ruined. I don't feel comfortable in my own skin, it's honestly a very sad situation. You only get one body, and I messed mine up, there's no turning back really. As you can tell I have a lot of regrets. I also deal with loose skin but that's a whole other story on it's own. Hopefully at some point in my life I will feel better about my body and learn to accept it as who I am, but that hasn't happened yet.

Unfortunately, this is me as well. I do have some hope that the stretch marks will fade away and the skin will tighten up, because I'm only twenty. Twenty two isn't much older, so why give up hope? :)

SusieQ, I had no idea you were only 20!!! (Sorry if the 'only' sounds condescending, not intended. I am literally twice your age ;) ) Have you been married very long?

I guess she was from the 1994 in her handle...are you turning the big 2-1 this year?!

That I am, in October. Although it's not really a big thing for me, since 21 is usually only a big date because people are legal drinkers then. :) Although I DO become eligible to apply for a free government-issued piece of land, the right of every Omani citizen, when I turn 21. ;)

I assumed it was your birthdate as well but never thought much about how old that made you. How long have you been married? And is it normal for a Muslim woman to be married that young? And to something you said a long time ago (before I got so behind) you are very mature for your age. :)

Not necessarily Muslim women, but Arab women, yes. Early marriage is encouraged in Islam, since extramarital relationships are forbidden and it's pretty hard for most people to remain celibate for so many years after puberty. But the average age of marriage is different in each culture, and not necessarily dictated by religion.

A sad fact: The age of marriage is getting higher in the Arab world only because most young men can no longer afford to get married. Fathers are demanding crazy-high dowries (a girl is eligible for a dowry in Islam, and she is the one who's supposed to pick it and the money/gift is supposed to be hers alone, but some selfish families demand high dowries and then the father keeps it, saying that it's his payback for all the years of taking care of his daughter. Yes, seriously. -_-), along with demands of gold jewellery, a huge wedding, a new wardrobe... And all of it is supposed to come out of the young man's pockets. This is very contrary to Islam's teachings and makes me quite angry; most men have to take a loan just to get married!

My father demanded a 6000 ($16000) Omani rial dowry (meant to be mine, he wouldn't touch the money), because he didn't want to look bad by "giving his daughter away cheaply" <--- Another stupid cultural thing. But since Islamically the dowry is my choice... I took the 6000 for the sake of appearance to appease my dad, then secretly returned every penny of it to my husband after the wedding was over. I also had a super tiny wedding and insisted on paying for it myself, with any money I had left from my years of working (I had to stop due to my FND, but I've worked since I was 15). I also refused new clothing/jewellery/etc. I find it so stupid and wasteful.

I've been married for 1.5 years, as you'll see as you get further back into the thread. ;)

You're so good about sharing your culture. I just want to say thanks for that.

Agreed! It's so fascinating to me.
  • pmad37
    pmad37 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    pmad37 wrote: »
    I am ready to give up entirely. Having a cruddy day, cruddy week, and cannot seem to find my control again

That's a hard place to be. Make one little positive decision. Just one. Do you workout? Hitting the gym can work wonders in improving a crappy day or week.

I do work out. I run, I lift some weights and I do a boot camp class. I was super disciplined to lose 30 pounds and somewhere between 30 and 40, I just can't seem to get it back. the way I lost doesn't work any more....I need to find what "clicks" with my body and get over this pity party I'm having. I'm usually a super enthusiastic person, it's just got to be a funk
  • FroggyBug
    FroggyBug Posts: 4,883 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    So I just realized that a few pairs of the shorts I bought today look a bit like pajamas. I'm wondering if I accidentally bought pajamas, but I doubt it as they were amongst all the other clothes and away from the pajama section :neutral:

I don't think anyone at the resort is going to care anyway... people are going to be walking around in bathing suits all the time (count me out-too self conscious).

But this says something for my fashion sense!!

I admit, I laughed out loud when I read this. I've noticed that some of the non denim shorts do resemble pajamas. My daughter owns a pair. I'm sure you'll look adorable pajamas or not.
    Thanks! At least I'll be comfortable ;)

I have to get up at 4 so I can get to the airport and board my plane at 6:15 :neutral: Not looking forward to getting up that early, but at least I'll be in paradise soon, eh? (I'm hoping my tub won't have mold like some reviewers are saying it will!)

But I'll miss this thread while I'm gone!

Have fun!!!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Ok, major confession here. I found this bedding set and bought it - ex-display $80 instead of $240. I love it (YES IT'S JESSICA SIMPSON I DON'T CARE), but it's in the spare room closet hidden from my husband. I bought it for the camper that we don't own yet, that he doesn't want yet (really only because the timing's not right and he's too busy to care) but that I'm desperate for. Is that bad? I'm such a brat.
    9qjnco1r0eni.jpg

I have a Jessica Simpson coat. It's really cute, olive green pea coat. But something about it being from the Jessica Simpson line does make me feel a little embarrassed for some reason. :D

I pick her shoes up in Marshalls and then put them down. I just can't buy something by Jessica Simpson, although I really have nothing against her.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    Oh, I am such a bad mother! My son is in the middle of diploma exams - I checked the calendar a dozen times and wrote down that his last two exams are on Monday. Got a call from the school at 9.34 saying that he should be in an exam right now and that they'd let him in if he got there by 10.00. I hauled him out of bed and thrust the car keys in his hand. He should be able to get there on time. I'm shaking. How could I have messed up so badly? :'(
    And now I feel worse because my husband asked why I didn't drive him to school. I don't know why - I should have, I was just in such a panic I wasn't thinking straight.

Not judging, but if he's old enough to drive...why isn't he keeping his own exam schedule?

I kinda thought that, too. (But not judging!)
    Special needs kid. Not good at organising himself. Trusts his useless mother to do it for him.
    I called the school and he did get there in time. So he wasn't prepared, but at least he's there.

Gotcha. Sorry.

ETA: I remember that now. Confession: I suck at remembering everyone's life details.

Me too. And me too.

• kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    Here's my confession: I sometimes binge and tell myself that I'm not going to log it, only to turn around and log it later or the next day. Last night I had one such episode. Then when I woke up, I felt kinda sick to my stomach (go figure) so I decided not to exercise. I know it's just one day and forget it, move on, etc but I have been on a backslide lately and was hoping I had got it under control. I'm really scared that I am going to gain all the weight back that I lost, partly because I just got rid of all the clothes that were too big for me so I won't have anything to wear.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I am ready to give up entirely. Having a cruddy day, cruddy week, and cannot seem to find my control again

That's a hard place to be. Make one little positive decision. Just one. Do you workout? Hitting the gym can work wonders in improving a crappy day or week.

I do work out. I run, I lift some weights and I do a boot camp class. I was super disciplined to lose 30 pounds and somewhere between 30 and 40, I just can't seem to get it back. the way I lost doesn't work any more....I need to find what "clicks" with my body and get over this pity party I'm having. I'm usually a super enthusiastic person, it's just got to be a funk

I do the same thing. In fact, if you look back about a week or so in this thread, you'll see my little pity party. ;)

"If you keep doin' what you're doin', you'll keep gettin' what you're gettin'." ~Zig Ziglar

One of my favorite quotes of all time.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options

Don't give up! We all have those days and weeks, and even months! I've been struggling since January, but I'm still here and haven't ballooned back to my starting weight because I DIDN'T give up. Always, always keep trying, even when you keep falling. Wishing you the best!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    xMrBunglex wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Confession: I ate nearly 4000 calories yesterday. Mostly in bread and cookies. Ugh.

Anyhow, it's prayer time and the fast has started--I'm off to pray and then maybe get some sleep (I hope).

@ndj1979 True and true, but that's okay. We don't mind being wrong when it feels so right. :smiley: Although there are quite a lot of confessions in these 959 pages, if you care to browse for them.

eh - my confession - not sure how this would be helpful to newbies as it appears to be a collection of gifs, notes on tv series, and other things, while I am sure are fun to discuss, I fail to see their utility to someone new to weight loss.

I think it's here in the General section because a lot of people feel free to ask questions in here that often get blasted into dumpster fire threads under normal circumstances. A bit like the restaurant-related questions you mentioned in that post of yours... The forums are a scary place for newbies. The "No judgment" in the topic line seems to attract a lot of them, actually.

What you see right now isn't what the thread is like all the time--it's actually evolving constantly since it's so active. Since a lot of us have been here from the beginning, we do often just chit chat all together, but confessions and questions still pour in a lot.
    Agreed. And since this is a really supportive, safe zone, I honestly think a lot of people have been helped back from the verge of falling off the wagon by discussing their struggles here. Or had a helping hand back on when they have fallen. To be honest, I don't really care where this thread is, as long as it doesn't get nuked.

Same here, which is why I do kind of wonder why everyone jumps on the posters who dare to ask why it's in this particular section. Wouldn't it make more sense to explain all that before telling them to go away? :D

I don't understand why others are so offended by this thread? Apparently many more people than we knew or thought lurk and read every so often.

any other thread that was as off topic as this one would of been locked down by page 15….

just saying..

so the special status is interesting.

Good point... Maybe we're all special snowflakes. ;)

Actually, I think the mods like the positivity and support that this thread continually generates, and since confessions still do pile in daily (and we don't judge them! Most of the time.), we're somewhat on topic. It would be pretty dumb to pull this thread when it's going so well--not that they don't lock down threads for dumb reasons pretty often.

there is plenty of support in the main forums, it just is not sugar coated.

I'd agree there is support in the main forums but the reality is not everyone is as thick skinned as you or I. This thread keeps the people (who would throw the towel in the bucket because they didn't like the deliverance on the main forums) coming back and maybe learning more about weight loss. May be a bit slower but better late than never.
    Right, although they may also have to learn how to properly size a bra, make flapjacks or change the transmission on a Jeep Wranger on the way.

great, but last time I checked it was not a site designed for any of those things. And people are always being chastised to "stay on topic"….
    FWIW, I do understand what you're saying, but the fact is we're on topic enough of the time.

sorry, but based on a browse of the last ten pages or so that does not appear to be the case.

topic.jpg

Not sure what that link was but I got blocked at work and a security warning! Yikes!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Can I just say how awesome this thread has become?

Yes, it started out about trash bags, peanut butter, and hot chocolate powder, but it has evolved into a community within the MFP community where people actually CARE and SUPPORT one another through stupid decisions, horrible situations, and hilarious escapades.

You all rock. And if I wasn't super lazy, I would finally get around to friend requesting the rest of the regular posters.

Super great.

I think it's become the thread motto, and I love it. <3

You guys will appreciate this. I went to immediate care last night to get a crazy insect bite on my knee checked out. The doc came into the room and asked me how I was, and without even thinking, I said, "super great". And then I just chuckled to myself for the rest of the appointment. LOL

I burst out laughing at this. :)
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I miss potato chips. Based on the other things that I need to eat, there is no way they can fit into my calorie budget. I forced in some french fries earlier in the week and I rode that high for like 2 days. It was glorious.

I'm barely hitting my numbers during this super busy week full of craziness at work, hardly any time to work out, and having less time to really prep any meals.
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    MissLaaber wrote: »
    Confession: I've been such a horrible depression cycle for the past two weeks, work and life is just weighing me down. I rage quit my job yesterday but now I'm here, I love my job but my mental health right now isn't supportive of the job. I'm now stuck between do I stay and wait it out (mental healthwise) or do I stay and look to move on asap?

I'm confused. Did you quit or not?

I verbally quit yesterday but I've gotten texts and calls since then from my boss asking me to reconsider, I'm planning on meeting with him within the next few days to discuss. So what it comes down to is will things get better or will they stay the same? If nothing changes then I am job searching.
  • catruledquilter
    catruledquilter Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I weigh out veggies like sweet potatoes at the grocery store on my food scale, yes I bring it with me. It's a flat black smooth one and looks like an iPad from a distance. It any of the sweet potatoes weigh more than 200 grams I won't buy it. So some weeks, I don't get them, because none are in the magic gram weight. I also buy loose onions and bell peppers on a similar weight method. Again some weeks, there aren't any in that weight.

<snip>

I actually own 4 food scales, 1 that travels, 1 at the office and 2 in the kitchen. Their batteries are changed the 1st day of every month whether they need it or not. They are also all the same brand and identical. I'm a lab tech and have used the calibrated weights to check their accuracy, they are in acceptable range. I do this often.

Shall I continue. I have developed a lot of quirks over my 900+ logging days here.

What brand of scales do you use? I like ones that are consistently accurate...if I had access to calibrated weights, I'd probably check my scales as well. I have 2 different brands but they are consistent compared with each other.

• Susieq_1994
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Today is my second day in a row that I haven't binged. I hope to stop binging & maybe I'll set a reward system like I did with weight loss. Before I started binging I was around 153 now I'm up to about 160 which was what my original goal weight was going to be anyway, but I would like to eventually lose a little more. For right now I am going to set my calories around 1973 & try to eat around that amount everyday but if I go over some days I am NOT going to BEAT myself up & try to make up for it in another day.

Last night I confessed I was hungry at 11:33 & wasn't going to eat anything but decided to eat a Quest bar, because I hate going to bed hungry.

I also ordered New Rules Of Lifting For Women on Amazon & hope to get it soon.

You can do this! I think I'm getting better at sticking to my own calorie goal by taking all the restricted foods I was hiding from and throwing that label out of the window. I honestly feel MUCH less like baking all the foods, eating all the foods, and drowning my sorrows in more of the food when I have it all sitting right there in my fridge, just being food.

As I told my husband yesterday: I messed up big time because I was tired, and whether I had those foods in my fridge or not, the outcome would have been exactly the same--just because I was able to make cookies (and proceed to eat too many of them) doesn't change the fact that I would have pigged out on anything else that was available if I didn't have cookie ingredients available, for example.

And you know what's really awesome? Normally I would have made the cookies, eaten ALL the cookies, and then gobbled down the remaining chocolate chips. This time, yes, I ate too many of them (7), but I then put the rest away into the freezer, and I didn't even feel the urge to touch the chocolate chips because "those are for baking". Since I can bake whenever I want, I don't need to get them out of the house by eating them just so I don't mess up tomorrow.

Does that make sense? My husband had a really hard time understanding my feeling of making progress when I had blown my calorie goal so badly, but I told him that you guys (and anyone else with disordered food issues or weight issues) would understand it. :)

Yup I get you. Great job on putting the rest in the freezer to enjoy another day. On Monday I had a binge with chocolate chips & melted a bunch & then ate it with a spoon.

Too bad it's not common either there to bring sweets to work to share with co-workers. Is it a cleanliness thing or do people just find it tacky in general? Usually if I have a food item that I don't like I'll bring the rest to work & put it in our break room for other people to enjoy.

Neither, actually. It's just not usually done (cultural norms, basically) and he's embarrassed that people will think it's weird or ask a lot of questions. :) I don't think anyone would mind having fresh homemade chocolate chip cookies brought to them at work! :o