Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic UGH! Sorry about that. :(
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Thank you @avidkeo, @rheddmobile, @shanaber, @Scott6255, @PastorVincent. I'm still annoyed waking up this morning, mostly with myself and how I handled the pacing. Every race is not going to be awesome and a personal best. There were something like 6000 people there so I don't think they could reasonably "fix" it at the last minute even if they realized the mistake. It's really surprising that a big race franchise like this could screw it up - and it makes me wonder where in the process it happened. @noblsheep - ha, yes, I noticed the white walkers too. :)

I don't know how our team did overall, we don't find out until later what all the scores are. But I do know the women's winner was from our team - she has won it like 5 years in a row and I think I heard her time might have been a course record. In other news, we had catered BBQ after I made that complaint about the food in my last post! Too bad it was all cold by the time we got it. :p

@rheddmobile I'm so happy your little raccoon is safe with a foster home and some raccoon buddies. I was worried about him.

That is a frustrating mistake for a big franchise to make - and it surprises me that no one was able to catch it.

I'm curious if assigning corals by speed is somewhat regional. I've heard of it in the really massive 10k+ participant races but have not seen it myself. That said, I think the biggest races I've been in had maybe 2-3K people so that probably is the main difference.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile aww that go great about the little guy. I've been thinking about him. Glad he'll be taken care of.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic sorry about the frustrating start to your race. Good job hanging on though. When you factor in the organizers' mistake, you probably did a lot better than you think.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    3 weeks of work left (Friday doesn't count because I'm only doing a half day and it will be mostly taken up with tidying and farewells. I'm starting to get really excited. And while I've offloaded the stress, hubby seems to have taken it on. I figure there is nothing else we can do for 2 weeks, and then we will be trying to sell most of our staff. He's getting a little bogged down in minor details. Sadly, as I know pointing that out to him doesn't generally help I kinda just have to leave him to it, and support when I can. He's now switched to worrying about where we will live when we get to New Town. We will actually move on around the 19th June. The auction is on the 3rd July. There is a possibility it may sell before that but for ease we are sticking to that. If the house sells, we are sweet and can afford to rent somewhere. But the worry now is if it doesn't sell. I suggested we switch the mortgage payments to interest only, and rent the house out till we sell. We cannot afford to rent and pay a mortgage. But renting it out is a last resort as that has its own set of concerns. It would rent fast, i have no worries about that.

I was not aware you still had slavery down there... :lol:
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    simcon1 wrote: »
    Four miles with a few hill repeats today—it’s been fun to add these in! Mostly I feel like I’m trying to keep from running too fast during easy or long runs, so it’s really satisfying to have short bursts of intense effort. I incorporated a few fartleks during my HM training on occasion, but mostly felt like I was pushing to cover the distance.

I’m so glad the weather doesn’t sound like it was too terrible for all of you in the middle of the country!

Totally off topic, but I’m headed to New Zealand next month for work (flying into Auckland, conference is in Hamilton), and will have a couple days free after that. For those of you living there, does exploring Rotorua sound like a good plan? Any national parks not too far (like a few hours’ drive) that would be reasonable that time of year? Should I bring a tent? Um, tying back to make it relevant—any good places not to miss for running? :) Grateful for any advice..NZ feels pretty far away from the US West Coast!

May goal: 70 mi

5/1 2 mi
    5/2 2 mi
    5/5 13.3 mi
    5/8 cross (8.5 mi bike commute)
    5/9 3 mi and cross (8.5 mi bike commute)
    5/10 2.7 mi and cross (8.5 mi bike commute)
    5/11 cross (12.5 mi biking with kids)
    5/12 3 mi and cross (4 mi biking with kids)
    5/13 cross (9.7 mi bike commute)
    5/14 4 mi
    5/15 2.5 mi (10.3 mi bike commute)
    5/17 7 mi (9 mi bike commute)
    5/18 cross (9.5 mi biking with kids)
    5/19 4 mi and cross (23.25 mi biking with kids)
    5/21 5 mi and cross (8.5 mi bike commute)
    5/22 4 mi with hill repeats and cross (5.7 mi bike commute)

May total: 52.5 mi

2019 Races:
    3/16 Kirkland Shamrock Run 5K
    4/13 Mud & Chocolate 4.5 mi trail run
    5/5 Vancouver BMO Half Marathon
    5/12 The Color Run 5K
    5/18 Your Canyon for a Day 35 mi Bike Tour, Yakima

6/16 Monroe Bubble Run 5K
    7/21 Seafair Triathlon?
    8/11 Lake Union 10K?

Cool! @ContraryMaryMary and myself are the resident kiwis! (there is another but can't recall their name off the top of my head)

Rotorua is awesome, lots to do - kinda a tourist mecca. Given its the middle of winter in August, a tent wouldn't necessarily be the best unless you are used to camping in the colder months. Tongorairo is definitely worth a visit. I'm in New Plymouth - about 4 hrs drive from Hamilton and there are good trails all around Mt Taranaki (and ill go for a run with you if we can make it work lol). It all depends what exactly you are into. It's skiing season as well and the slopes are only a couple of hrs drive from Hamilton