Is there a Strong Curves but for abs/core?

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Lots of core work will mostly hit rectus abdominus. When I mentioned vacuums, it's to address the transverse abdominus which there aren't many exercises where people feel it directly without engaging the rectus abominus. Hopefully they're in your workout.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff these vacuums, along with more hollow holds, dead bugs, and the like should've been incorporated on my active rest days. Thank you for the reminder: I'm on it now! (...shudders at the thought of more bear crawls but then braces herself...)
  • TiredMom2021
    TiredMom2021 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow. You did a ton of research (thank you for the links) and great job! I only found this thread today but I love that you updated with stats and pics!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that your hip to waist ratio is going to depend a LOT on hip and rib shape and muscle placement -none of which you have any control over unless you have bone surgically removed.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,460 Member
    Options
    Oh wow. So here’s @ninerbuff ’s original stomach vacuum post.

I started practicing extended stomach vacuums last November, after responding to this thread.

Granted, I do a lot (and variety) of exercise per day, have maintained weight and nutrition, and have been fortunate with skin tightening up, but I just want to share, the stomach vacuums seem to have helped quite a lot. I think my belly has improved a LOT thanks to these magical vacuums.

I walk several miles a day, and try to remember to hold the vacuum as long as I can, pulling abs and lower stomach in and up as tight as I can, but not to the point it affects my breathing. Tight abs, loose lungs.

I also try to stand up straighter when I do them, as he suggested elsewhere.

Even my trainer has noticed the difference in my posture since I started doing the vacuums.

And I have to say, being able to suck it in and hold it, while marching miles around town, I feel like a million bucks. It’s a huge ego boost.

There was a very non-PC radio host here years ago who used to talk about “flat bellies”, meaning young hot women. I flatter myself that at my advanced age, maybe I’d skew his schtick all to hell and back.

Thanks again for the tip, @ninerbuff XXXOOO
  • BlueGymnast
    BlueGymnast Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    I hear a lot of good things about strong curves but mine are genetically strong, perhaps overly so 😭

Instead, and in order to achieve the waist-to-hip ratio I'm looking for (0.68-0.72), I think focusing on ab and core work makes more sense. Not looking for a six-pack per se but some more definition would be nice (current BFP: mid-20s. I'm doing recomp til next spring).

So, since I'm tired of looking around Google, may you please share which programs are known to help strengthen ab and general core muscles? And if you tried it yourself, please share your results!

Hi!
    So remember, you can't "spot' train or lose weight. But to create what we call a strong core, TRX is very effective! Of course you have to attend a gym that has TRX (https://www.trxtraining.com/why-trx) or you can purchase a set of straps to use at home, but it works by simply working your bodyweight. A Navy SEAL developed this-so its effective!
    One certified trainer I follow is Marsha Hughes (53 yrs old, 4 kids) on Instagram/YouTube. Be very careful who you follow! Influencers are NOT instructors!
    Marsha has a huge list of videos-Free! Her YouTube handle is shortcircuits_fitness
    On Instagram @shortcircuits_fitness Marsha provides bodyweight workouts easy to hard, TRX (that I mentioned), weights, bands, balls! She
    firmly believes in HIIT (high intensity interval training) it truly is a great style and experts rave about it-its safe ;-)
    Mostof my workouts are HIIT style .l'll end here, but I hope this helps. I love TRX so much I became a certified trainer.

Good luck!

Amy